Fly Tying
fshng84

100% Wool Fingerless Gloves

Been wanting 100% wool fingerless gloves but did not want to pay too much for them. Plus, it's tough to find ones made with 100% wool. So, made my own... not bad, only had one do over. Gloves Post.

I have two pairs that I never use any longer. Now I wear finger-less light nylon gloves for protection from the sun. I save the wool gloves for that rare trip for steelhead up north.

I like your design, most "finger-less" wool gloves have too much finger your design is much nicer.

Although I don't use fingerless gloves since it's my fingers that get cold, you did a good job on them. Got a tutorial on making fingerless gloves with a fold back mitten and thumb.

Although I don't use fingerless gloves since it's my fingers that get cold, you did a good job on them. Got a tutorial on making fingerless gloves with a fold back mitten and thumb.

Years ago when i fished a lot in the cold weather I thought the same thing that you just said above. Then I tried the wool fingerless gloves and found that I really could fish quite a lot longer before my fingers got to me and even sometimes be able to stick it out. They made a difference for me. Now with more age and multi blood pressure meds I just don't do cold weather fishing at all, my whole body gets cold now and I have trouble warming up. So that episode of my life is over, I'm glad/grateful I did it when I did, the time was right..

I have had the exact opposite experience with any type of glove I tried for flyfishing; between having my fingers on both hands exposed to the cold, wind, and wet. I have never found any warmth from gloves. The only warmth I have found fishing was from "Hot Hands" the chemical warmer packs. These will last all day by storing them in my waders chest pocket so they aren't exposed to air until I need them. As far as 100% wool goes, they are 100% useless for me!

Gloves suck, communal warmth of mittens is the ticket. I use wool mittens where the mitten part can be flapped back exposing the four fingers. I keep a hot hand pack in the mitten. When the fingers get cold back in the mitten they go. I have always fished cold weather and look forward to the ice fishing season with the same enthusiasm as the Spring striper run. I've tried every glove out there. It's mittens for me.

I only use wool fingerless gloves in the summer. They work great rowing the boat or pontoon to prevent blisters and sunburn. Also make it better when grabbing a fish to unhook before gently releasing. Wool or polar fleece flip-top mittens are the way I roll in winter for Nordic skiing and fishing. There is woolen mill in Buffalo, Wyoming that markets this stuff-founded a few years back to give sheep ranchers - dying industry- a place to process some really great wool. The company spins yarn and makes 100% wool products. I will locate contact information if anyone wants it......

Great job.The gloves look like they will work well and the cat can't wait to get it's paw's on them.

Thanks Kentuncysteve! Cat likes the gloves but really likes the fly line... will eat them any chance he gets!

I have two pairs that I never use any longer. Now I wear finger-less light nylon gloves for protection from the sun. I save the wool gloves for that rare trip for steelhead up north.

I like your design, most "finger-less" wool gloves have too much finger your design is much nicer.

Thanks utyer! Been thinking about using them sooner than later, too. Went with the design because I can still feel the fly line when fishing with them on. It doesn't get as cold here in Texas as it does further North. Hoping these will work in lieu of the leather with a wool blend lining that I use. Has fingers, so I don't feel get the feel of the line like I normally do.

Thanks Poopdeck! Fold back mitten and thumb design sounds good. I planned to try a 100% wool knit cap next; may give the fold back mitten a go once the cap is done. Have not started it yet; the Trout Stocking Season here in Texas starts soon in our area and Oklahoma has already started... prefer to fish rather over knitting. Mainly did this because I like the idea of picking my own material like 100% wool.

Years ago when i fished a lot in the cold weather I thought the same thing that you just said above. Then I tried the wool fingerless gloves and found that I really could fish quite a lot longer before my fingers got to me and even sometimes be able to stick it out. They made a difference for me. Now with more age and multi blood pressure meds I just don't do cold weather fishing at all, my whole body gets cold now and I have trouble warming up. So that episode of my life is over, I'm glad/grateful I did it when I did, the time was right..

Like the comment Dave G! I think I get a chance to keep fishing the cold a little more longer since I am further South in Texas. Will keep going as long as I can!

I have had the exact opposite experience with any type of glove I tried for flyfishing; between having my fingers on both hands exposed to the cold, wind, and wet. I have never found any warmth from gloves. The only warmth I have found fishing was from "Hot Hands" the chemical warmer packs. These will last all day by storing them in my waders chest pocket so they aren't exposed to air until I need them. As far as 100% wool goes, they are 100% useless for me!

Have used the "Hot Hands" too... I keep them in the Chest Wader pocket and will put my hands in there to warm up when needed. Only really needed them one fishing trip in Oklahoma where the rod guides froze every 2-3 casts, then you had to break off the ice.