Fly Tying
vicrider

Beware the "YES" phone answer...

This is what I just posted on a rare visit to my Facebook page.

"Heads up people. I got "yes" scammed. Two nights ago I got a call on the home phone that has the #s faded out. I answered and a machine simply asked if the was the "Szabo" residence and pronounced it right. I said "yes" and the machine said a representative would call me shortly. No "hold for an important message" where I could hang up on, just that and a click. No one called. Tonight on the News they're talking about a scam that gets you to say "Yes" on the phone and they use that recording to show you authorized a purchase on you credit card or bank account.

None of our accounts have been hit but I had a few other times when a phone authorization was given by my stating name and saying "yes", meaning I authorized the withdrawal. Several people in OK City are sorting there messes out from this now and I will be on the phone seeing what to do with our acc'ts. We have 3 bank accounts, 3 debit cards, and 1 credit card so it could be worse.
If someone calls and even if they come on like a best friend with a question you need to answer YES to, hang up or ask them why they want to know. Damn crooks I'd like to hang from their balls, and I didn't fall for this because I'm elderly but because it was so slickly done and seemingly harmless.

I saw this on Fb yesterday too. See I have a issue believing this man. In this day and age more than a simple voice "yes" is needed. This could be true I guess, but I just don't see it. Conformation in the form of a PIN or SSN # or something is needed for most transactions. Just me or???

Steve, I have authorized payment transactions over the phone with a simple recorded "YES". Done it with my insurance a couple of times and one other large purchase I can't remember what it was for. They would read the statement something like, "Nicholas Szabo, are you authorizing XXX insurance to deduct $$ from XXX acc't to pay for insurance?" I would say YES, they would play it back and ask if that was acceptable and it was done. They can buy sheets of people's credit card and bank checking #s with routing #s through many sources that sell them (illegally) and just make a fake purchase with that message in there and your recording and hit your card or acc't.

We have had a CU acc't in MN hacked by an outfit in FL that prints fake checks and IDs and puts your routing and policy # on them. They cleared out our checking acc't and portion of savings through auto transfer and CU never caught. Wife went on site to check mortgage was paid and found it. Called them and they said they had the cancelled checks. YEAH, but that's not our name on them and we don't live in FL. Second time was a card I never used for a couple of years, used it once by next day my $80 charge was over $500. Fortunately they called me on that and also on a different card to see if I was buying a very expensive guitar. UHHH NO.

So they're out there and if this is a scam I'll still watch my accounts a couple of times a day like I was told and get them immediately if anything wrong shows up.

Okay, just have never heard nor seen that myself is all. Was just your "Yes" all that was needed?? because honestly man that just seems wrong IMO. I have never seen that. Seems some other approval over than a voice Yes would be needed. I totally approve of any warning like this, 100% UP FOR ANYTHING HELPFUL.....just have never seen an instance of a voice "yes" approving anything myself is all.

Just wondering...how would anyplace know your voice "yes" from my voice"yes" from the next persons "yes"? just doesn't make sense to me is all. Not like credit cards are voice rec or anything. So to me it just makes no sense to have some strangers "Yes" on file is all I guess. Like I said I'm all for helping avoid this sort of stuff. This whole "Yes" thing just seems off is all. I dunno, maybe just me.

I'm not doubting you and your past problems, Vic, but I am doubting the "yes" scam.

For one ... why is it only "... Several people in OK City are sorting there messes out from this now ..."

Has it really only affected people in that one city? Are they the only ones trying to sort out their "messes"?

Two ... I've come to rely on "Snopes.com". So far, they're 100% correct on any online information I've checked through them.

Plus, traveling all over like I do, I often have to authorize functions or payments over the phone. I have never been able to do so just by saying "yes".

To everyone ... although this might of might not be real ... remember to never give out personal information, yours or others, over the phone, unless you've initiated the call. If someone calls, representing a company you deal with, and asks for information, tell them you'll call them right back. Then call the number YOU know, and ask them if they really need anything from you.

I saw this on the CBS news also. I think it's better safe than to be sorry - but it's getting tougher and tougher to know when it's 'safe'.

Your last paragraph Mike - everyone should take that to heart!

BCT

When I receive a call from someone I don't know asking for me I reply "He's not here right now can I take a message? " If they then ask when is a good time to call I ask for their number and say I'll get him to call you when he gets back. This usually results in a hang up on their end unless they are legit.

Les

Simplest answer: If I don't recognize the number on the caller ID, I don't answer the call. That's what voice mail is for. If it's important, they'll leave a message and if the message reveals that the caller is known to me or otherwise legit, I can call back.

As to vicrider's suggestion of hanging scammers by their balls, I can only add, "using rusty barbed wire." :)

Draconain, but we have had to resort to this -

If we do not recognize the phone number/person/voice, we NEVER pick up.

We've told all we know to please leave a message.

Our phone also has an internal OGM that seems to stop short messages left by sale marketers and their ilk.

When you pick up an incoming call, the robo-schmucks learn they've reached a good number

and then comes the avalanche of more & more calls.

I've even refused the bank our phone number, and it's interesting how they hounded me for it

when they had admitted they would only send a letter, never a phone call.

Interesting times we live in.