Fly Tying
fiahermansfly

Butterfly wings?

I'm wanting to attempt a mountain butterfly particularly a blue mountain butterfly...Does anyone know how to create the wings...I've been web hunting for an idea and have came up dry. I'm wanting that cloth look, like the natural.

Thanks in advance,

~Brett

I'm wanting to attempt a mountain butterfly particularly a blue mountain butterfly...Does anyone know how to create the wings...I've been web hunting for an idea and have came up dry. I'm wanting that cloth look, like the natural.

Thanks in advance,

~Brett

There is a tyer From Cali. that does some great butterflys and uses rice paper for the wings. His first name is Jackson his last name is ? (Leome) . I'm sure the spelling is wrong on the last name. I have used a paper like tyvek but was unhappy with the results.

Fred

His last name is Leong....nice guy with a lot of nice realistic stuff....butterflies among them. And indeed he make's the wings from rice paper and he make the patterns on the wings in dots.....lots and lots of dots.

Google will give you some results on his work but I don't think he has his own website....yet. This is on his card but it will not really give you much.... http://www.realisticfliesbyjacksonleong.com/

Greets Paul.

Good Day,

You might want to look for a poduct called "fuzzy paper". Somethng like this:

http://www.paper-paper.com/fuzzy-paper.html

Steelie

Steelie, your awesome...Though I'd almost feel like cheating printing off a set of wings. I'm prolly gonna give it a go..I thought about using construction paper and taking a piece of fine grit sand paper to it before coloring. I'll give em both a go!

Thanks everyone for your quick responses!

~Brett

hand coloring the wings with markers...

Actually...that is exactly how Jackson creates his butterfly wings. I am not certain the type of paper, but he uses fine tip markers and dots the paper with the ink to get the coloring that he wants!

I know this is an old thread, I found a cool site though salmonfly.net I believe. Or google leon's butterfly.

Anyway if anyone doesn't mind printing out wings, they have a few patterns ready to be printed and explain how to tie in the wings. I was wondering about butterfly wings myself and took me 2 days to find that, looks like it was worth the searching.

ThisGuy

I finally found the step-by-step for Leon's butterfly, and the templates for printing the wings. It wasn't clear to me what "fabric" he is using .... "safecloths" or "microwipes"... do you have any idea what parallel for those exists in the U.S.? Also I didn't see anything about painting over the wings with some protectant like Sally Hansen. Seems plain wings would be too floppy once wet, and the printer ink might not be permanent.

Any ideas?

Could try dryer sheets... I think I'd try a used one without whatever they're treated with, press it first... question then is whether the printer ink will stick, and

still wonder how to stiffen them.

This is from Silkhdh, from the "favorite warm water species" thread ... but it's a favorite stiffening agent of mine.

post-19822-0-20208800-1421350769.jpg

Gar slime is useful for many things.