Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Still not fly fishing

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:41 PM

30 fish on flies through the ice beats my overall total catch on flies through the ice by precisely 30 fish ! Live bait is all that ever worked. But we have a short safe ice season, some years it's not safe at all. Doesn't matter to me anymore though since I don't winter fish at all anymore.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#17 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:03 PM

OK, time for full disclosure.

We actually caught a little over forty. This is just the thirty we kept.

I didn't catch all these myself, I had a buddy with me. I usually take most of the credit for the fish caught in my fish houses because I scout the spots to fish, build the fish houses, make the rods, tie the flies, drill the holes, show them how to fish and stick a rod in their hands. I'm a retired (mostly) fishing guide and my friends depend on me for these things.

The limit here is ten fish but I was allowed to catch twenty because I have a proxy fishing license for an elderly lady that likes to eat fish but can't get out anymore. Pretty sweet deal for both her and I.

I have also been pretty successful catching large, up to 28 inch, rainbows and char on jigs that look like the local bait fish, a silver minnow about 2 1/2 inches long.

#18 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:54 AM

@Mark,

Might try Gartside's wetmouse -- pheasant aftershaft feathers wrapped around the entire shaft of the hook...

http://jackgartside....t_wet_mouse.htm

cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#19 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:55 PM

Chug, Ah, something like that might be really nice. Now you got me thinking. Thanks.

#20 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:25 AM

Mark, I just went through some of your website postings. You are a busy and gifted man.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#21 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 03:54 PM

Thanks Darrell, I appreciate that.

#22 CasualAngler

CasualAngler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:26 PM

Nice haul! Do they taste good? Do you smoke 'em up, or jar them for later?

Hope you were able to have one just pan fried with a little S & P and lemon... scrumptious!

Alan :P

#23 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:07 PM

C.A., Yes, I mostly smoke them. We also pan fry them and we just had some in the Fry Daddy, beer batter for the family and mine were rolled in crushed pork rinds to be kito diet compliant.

#24 CasualAngler

CasualAngler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:56 PM

C.A., Yes, I mostly smoke them. We also pan fry them and we just had some in the Fry Daddy, beer batter for the family and mine were rolled in crushed pork rinds to be kito diet compliant.

Finestkind!