Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Angler Catches Bizarre Fish

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

Angler Catches Bizarre Fish With ‘Two Mouths’ in Upstate New York

https://www.youtube....9&v=Npa5mma_Iok

https://www.geek.com...w-york-1801090/

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:52 PM

As usual for me, I don't listen to the audio portion.  I don't like to bother the Wife, and I don't care for headphones.  I just say that to then say that I don't know what conclusion they came up with on the newscast.

It's obvious to me (I could be wrong) that this fish doesn't have two mouths.  It was injured ... long enough ago that it's healed up.  The injury ripped open it membrane across the lower jawbones.  Instead of healing closed, it healed open, making the fish LOOK like it has two mouths.

The surprising thing is not that it looks like it has two mouths, but that it survived and thrived with that gaping wound.  That it healed and continued to grow/eat/"breathe" with that opening.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

It's kind of amazing to me that someone would look at the fish and not know immediately what the story was. Stranger things than that have happened. 

#4 Swampfoxforeman

Swampfoxforeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:52 PM

The fish still looks strange, but I agree a injury that has healed. I’m surprised it lived.

#5 spiralspey

spiralspey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:53 AM

I saw that report somewhere else and thought exactly what you guys did, that it's simply an old wound that's healed. It's amazing that a fish with a wound like that can survive, but there is an awful lot of forage in the great lakes, and no predators so even a wounded fish can survive for a while.

#6 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:37 PM

Are fish with two mouths easier to catch?

#7 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:20 AM

Only with "hopper/dropper" set ups, Poopdeck.  wink.png

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis