Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FIN-ITE 34

Predator tubes

Does anyone have a domestic source for 4.6mm tubes for tying pike flies? Also a source for dyed XXL ostrich plumes with really long, fluffy herl of 6-8 inches in length?

Don't know about ostrich but have a look for rhea herl. Very hard wearing. Can I ask why you need 4.6mm tube? Many many patterns are available that will give you a big profile in the water and all need a very standard 3mm tubing. Sticking with 3mm allows you to use cones, US weights etc with liner tubes to make life easy for yourself.

try www.tonyhill.net This is lamplight feather, inc. These are feathers for costumes and such, but also fly tying. Tony Hill was a commercial fly tyer, so he'll know what you want.

If you call and talk to him, he might go hand pick them for you. This is what he did for me when I called about some golden pheasant and lady Amherst center tail feathers. He was an awesome guy to talk to, very willing to help me out. Give him a shot.

The reason for the 4.6mm tube is to get a larger inside diameter to pass through a wire trace that has already been rigged with a hook and loop end. Knotted or crimped, the trace connection is too tight to readily change flies without having to have all flies rigged with their own hooks.

Really? What size wire are you using? I assumed you were chasing pike with something like 7strand in 20 or 30lb. That definitely fits in 3mm tube. Granted you cant use a liner tube with that but fine if you don't need cone head.

The only place I've seen XL tubing is from future fly but cant help on a USA distributer.