Fly Tying
Brown Bomber

jungle cock capes

Try Castle Arms, feathers MCS or Jim's fly shop in Yellowstone. If you are putting out serious money a reputable dealer is a better way to go than escam.

But who is to say that the "reputable dealers" aren't getting their capes, directly or otherwise, from some of these same people who list on eBay? At least one of them,in Croatia, apparently wholesales out the capes that do not sell when offered on eBay. I get the impression that the capes are first offered on eBay before going to the wholesalers. From the posted photos, many are 'real junk'!

I recommend that you ask around to see if anyone has done business with the eBay sellers, and go from there.

Not sure where I saw them at, I'm sure it wasn't ebay, but there's a few guys out there that take pictures of all the capes they have and have separate pricing for all of them. Some are real dogs some are pretty decent. You do need to be careful because I've ordered a couple in the past and both came from the same supplier so I really should've just ordered them both from the same place. I'd definitely ask for pictures of the cape you are getting though so you can see the color and how many splits it has.

Jeff

edit-featherside flies is the one with all the pics but their inventory is looking pretty low as well

Nice thing about ebay is if you don't get what's pictured, you can get your money back, and you get to pick the one you want to bid on, not what they send you from a wholesaler. Andy60 is the dealer in Estonia, his capes vary from very nice to not so hot. There are buy it now capes as well sometimes, most good capes go for between $45-65 and his reviews are good, so I'm guessing he is a legitimate dealer. Just my .02 cents worth.

Blane

I would buy from Feathersmc.com NEVER EBAY their stuff can cause a hell of problems. I have a couple capes and they are great, Mr. Mclain is a really good guy too!

Two or three years ago I purchased a cape from someone off of eBay based on the recommendation of a friend who personally knew a few people who had

purchased from the individual. At the time the seller had a dozen or so capes up which had auctions deadlines a few minutes from each other. After reading through

the sellers excellent and long feedback record I did my own evaluation as I could from the images and selected a couple of them down in the list of capes. When the first

auctions finished I noticed the prices the capes went for referring to the "best guess" personal grading I had done and used that to decide whether to place a bid and

the amount and ended up winning the first one I bid on for somewhere in the $50s. Everything turned out well for something to use to tie things like Hornbergs for fishing

and I've used some of the feathers other than the nails for some of my Shadow Box Raffle ties.

eBay can be a decent place to buy things from but it takes more work than buying from a fly shop with a good reputation.

Perhaps I have been lucky, but over the past six years I have purchased everything from a compound slide for my old Delta wood lathe, to plants, and numerous bamboo rods, among other items, through eBay and have only had one problem; ever. In this case, the seller failed to put and old bamboo rod and it's fiber tube into a sturdier shipping container, and the tube got crushed. However, the rod was undamaged. I arrived at a mutually satisfactory settlement with the seller; so, in the final analysis, I would have to say that I have never had a BAD experience buying through eBay.

Each to his own.

perchjerker

since jungle cock capes are similar to a genetic cape, inspection has to be a must when buying one.

you simply cannot inspect one in your hands on ebay or any other "reputable" on line fly shop

i purchased my jungle cock cape at one of the fly fishing circus shows that travel around the country in late winter. to me it was the best option.

Try Castle Arms, feathers MCS or Jim's fly shop in Yellowstone.

where do you suppose they get thirs from??

What grade are you looking for? Many people I know have purchased them through ebay, with varying results. If the cape matches the pic you choose (most of the time)then go for it. If you purchase from Castleman or other "top" dealers except to pay $185.00 * us

I am looking for a cape that will give me feathers for fishing. When I get to tying atlantic salmon flies for show I will get a top quality cape. For now flies 4 fishing is on the table