Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Extended Trip Preparation

When planning an extended trip to anywhere, be sure to prepare carefully. Not just by finding out what flies are being productive, but by going the extra distance and preparing yourself in other ways.

if possible, scout the area you intend on fishing, hiking, or camping first. This gives you a better idea of what to expect from the terrain, the local climate, and local weather patterns. This in turn helps you to be a bit more prepared and a bit more comfortable during your stay.

Prepare yourself physically. Know what your limitations are: how far can you hike, or wade comfortably? Are you strong enough to pack all the gear you need? If your aren't sure, start preparing yourself well ahead of your trip. simply walking a few miles a day can improve your leg and lower back strength, improves your endurance, and improves the flexibility of your joints. Walking is a great low impact cardio workout and should be a part of a healthy life anyway.

Also be aware of any medical or socio-political unrest in the area. This is of course intended for any trip that may take you abroad. Be aware of any WHO warnings concerning diseases, or conditions that may be affecting an area. Be aware, too, of any unrest in the areas you may be entering. A friend of mine was caught in the middle of a gun fight between disputing factions in Honduras a few years ago. Not pleasant, as you can well imagine.

I'm am sure that there are many, many things I have ommitted from this list, but the point is....plan your trips well, plan them carefully, and always be thinking "what if". It can mean the difference between a unforgettable trip and one you wish you could forget.

Big Daddy loves ya!

Peace, love, and no wind knots!

Well I thought I was gonna have to change the name of this forum to "Tip Of The Year" laugh.gif

Also BDH don't forget to fill your purse with plenty of "feminine hygiene products" wink.gif

I was not able to set up new topic, so I'll piggy back on BDH post.

When I tye I like to get all the material ready I'm going to need, including the hooks.

Had problems with my hooks getting caught in a shirt sleeve or getting stuck in to material.

I over came this with one of those thin magnets you get from insurance companies, pizza shops etc.. The kind you stick on your refrigerator. The one I use was from the Pittsburgh Pirates, it was a magnet with the schedule, so it was nice and big. I cut it to fit my vice pedestal and glued it down. Now my hooks stay nice and orderly , know exactly were they are. I also have one glued to my desk for razor blades and the occasional spare hook.

Great free piece of tying equipment !

yep!!! they are!!! i have a couple glued to the base or a cheap vise that I love to tie with. makes it real nice to have hooks right at hand without the fea of dumping them everywhere!!! great post JJ!!!

Sign in to follow this