Fly Tying
Ashby

Went to town finally

Here are some pictures I got on my trip down town. We are only allowed off post once every 30 days, we make the best of it. These shots came from my camera as well as Chiefs cam.

This one is of the Chief and myself on the steps of the Princes Palace/9 star hotel. The upper half is his palace, one of them. The rest is the hotel. $10,000 a week will get you a room here. The other pics are from in and around the palace.

post-3929-1156642663_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1156642856_thumb.jpg

This is the dome inside

post-3929-1156642923_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1156642942_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1156642963_thumb.jpg

Anything you see that looks like gold, is real gold. Unreal!

post-3929-1156643077_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1156643096_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1156643197_thumb.jpg

Outside again

post-3929-1156643356_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1156643388_thumb.jpg

This one is just us having coffee and cheese cake in the palace, talk about service!

post-3929-1156643159_thumb.jpg

Down town

post-3929-1156643460_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1156643479_thumb.jpg

post-3929-1156643753_thumb.jpg

The last one, that's not smog, that's the sand in the air on a daily basis. With these pictures being shown to you, no, I'm not in paradise. If I were to live down here, I would have nothing to complain about at all. This about 30 miles from where we are at. It's a beautiful city and it's right on the gulf where a lot of our humidity comes from. Hope you like the pics, and you can guess what city this is, but I will be unable to tell you. Not allowed. Anyway, hope you like the pics. I'll upload more when I get them.

Ashby

Very nice shots, when I pictured where you were at, it was like what I saw in a few movies, sand, camels, tents and a few oil rigs. Nothing at all like these photos. Of course I have never been too concerned about what is there. In your last post you said the temp was dropping...down to 90. Here this morning at five am its around 7 cel. Yesterday I heard the geese cackling for the first time . They are gathering up for their annual flight, trees are starting to change. I walked through a field that was loaded with hoppers pinging around everywhere. With any luck you will return to your new house, with all well, and might be able to get out to do some late fall fishing. I supose you are counting the days...Take care!!

Hey Ashby,

GREAT to hear from you!!!! I've thought about you being over there serving our interests and protecting our national security, many times. I sure hope you stay safe...

My dad used to do a lot of business in the middle east and this is just a guess, but your photos seem to remind me of photos I've seen from Abu Dhabi in the Emirates, but those memories are 20 years old.

BTW... I still plan on having your camel spider tyed by the time you return home to California. I need to get the largest double salmon hooks made because I want the two hooks to be the mouth pinchers.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your amazing photos, and I'd love to see more.

Salute,

Graham

Glad you guys like the photos. Trust me Joe, up to May of this year we had been living in tents here for over 10 year. It's take a lot to get to where we are now. As for the camels, we don't have them on base (something about them getting on the runway, I don't get it :hyst: ) but we do have them off base. I'll try to get some more pics of where we are here. You get really tired of seeing all this sand with no water. We do have very few trees, fig trees or palms. Those are only on the side of the road and watered. Other than that, it's just like you would imagine a desert to be. Your temps sound a lot better than mine. I think I spoke a little soon on the temps though. We were at a comfortable 115 today, but tonight I just checked and it's at 105 with 80% humidity :wallbash: When I get home I will be able to catch the last bit of the salmon and steelhead runs. Only thing is, Nov you can't keep them which is fine with me, I just want to play and go home to the wife. She has this thing about me smelling like fish. Maybe 5 showers later she will get close enough to touch :D Graham, trust me, I can't wait to get home either. As for the spider, I really look forward to seeing that bad boy. They have been hiding lately though. Here a few weeks ago, I actually caught one by hand. One of the guys laughed pretty hard at me because I was shaking like a leaf while holding the thing. I held it up to his face and told him you would shake a little too if you did this :hyst: you have never seen a bunch of "I'm a bad @$$" military guys split so fast in your life :hyst: :hyst: that was so funny about dropped the spider on myself. Now if only I can find that dang Sand Viper :blink:

Ashby

Ashby, very cool pics man. I didn't expect such a nice looking city in that area.

won't be long man, keep up the terrific work! :headbang:

Hi Ashby,

Thanks for the great post. We really appreciate it AND your service. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com