Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sammothner

Mayhem fly?

I was out on the watauga river the other day with a guide and I was fishing a mayhem? Nymph. I caught a lot of fish on it and had a lot of bites. Anyone know how to tie one? I think it had a foam wingcase if that helps. A step by step with materials list would be great.

Thanks guys,

Sam

mayhem_bwo_emerger.jpg

doesnt look too hard to decipher

step by step

hook

thread

zlon tail

wire rib

thread body or dubbing

foam wingcase

peacock herl thorax or dubbing

feather fiber legs

another version

mayhem-bwo-emerger-300x216.jpg

Nymph? Sure looks like an emerger pattern to me. Guess you could sink it with enough weight, but not sure why. Anyone know who the originator is?

As a matter of fact, it does to those of us who like to properly attribute patterns when passing on information.

And if google could answer the question, I would not have asked...it really has been some time, flytire, since google was new, you do realize...

It is a Solitude Fly Co design. At one time, they listed the name of the fly designer. That is no longer the case:

http://www.solitudefly.com/product.aspx?productcode=E039PM

Further, if one takes the time to look at pg. 96, in Schollmeyer & Leeson's , "Tying Emergers", one will see Bill Black's ( yes, that guy from Spirit River ) Foam Biot Emerger...essentially the same pattern with a Sparkle Yarn Shuck, Goose Biot Abdomen, Thread Rib and Fine & Dry Thorax...the rest is the same as The Mayhem...

Mike Williamson shows it here:

https://evolutionofaflyfisher.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/drawn-wing-case-shellbacks/

PT/TB

I have been tying similar foam backed flies for over 30 years, and called them floating nymphs. My pattern was simply a PT nymph with a foam wing case meant to imitate a PMD.

Completely off topic... why is it the more innocuous the fly the more dramatic the name?

Gotta draw in the fishermen somehow!

If the fly itself isn't "shiny" enough to attract fishermen, then the name needs to be.

Completely off topic... why is it the more innocuous the fly the more dramatic the name?

Gotta draw in the fishermen somehow!

If the fly itself isn't "shiny" enough to attract fishermen, then the name needs to be.

Bing! Bing! Bing! Mike nailed it.

With millions of flies out there, a cool name really helps market a fly. This may not work any better than utyer's foam backed PT (possibly worse), but it will sell better. Sometimes the cool names connect a good fly with a unique name, e.g. Rainbow Warrior.

The web makes unique names very powerful. "Blue Poison Tung" googles to the exact pattern, image and SBS videos. ... and more to the point, Google gives you a link to buy a Poison Tung. Try that with "midge emerger with silver tungsten bead on scud hook with blue wire rib and gray UV dubbing thorax." (Google's pretty good with this one - Planet Trout comes out on top!)