Fly Tying
Chia

Smallie Pig Video

Thanks for the video Chia, I think its great that more guys are trying to do videos. With that said I have one comment and one tip

Comment, get your camera up higher level with the fly.

Tip, your eyes are not getting tight because you need to helicopter your thread underneath after the x wraps to pull those wraps in tight!

Interesting looking fly/jig im sure the bass will love it!

Okay ... nice try on the video. I hope you don't mind some critiques.

1) Too much thread put on the hook prior to even starting the tying in. Start the thread at the eyes, tie them in, then wrap back to the hook bend.

2) Two minutes to put on dumbbell eyes is a long time. That's a basic skill you need to learn to get the time down and to lock them in properly.

3) You put on dubbing from the feather to in front of the eyes, then cover a lot of it tying in the rubber legs. NOTE: Great job on getting the rubber legs positioned well. Dub up to the rubber leg tie in ... tie in the rubber legs ... then dub up to and around the eyes. You'll have a much better "finish" on the fly.

4) I like that you know how to use a Thompson's whip finisher ... but it's not the right tool for that type of fly. A Matarelli whip finisher would do a much better job. Of course, the half hitches you're applying with the pen will work, especially with the coating of nail polish or head cement.

5) Finally ... this is a 3 or 4 minute fly, at most. 11+ minutes for the video is a bit long.

As I said, it's a nice attempt ... keep up the good work.