Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

"The Indispensables" Swap

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#46 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:06 AM

Elk Hair Caddis are on their way.

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#47 Dubs

Dubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

got them Bob thank you

#48 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:47 PM

I'm 9 out of 12 from finishing. Have the parachutes done, the emerger caddis sparkle pupas done, and as a bonus finishing with 12 weighted caddis sparkle pupas to get down deeper. I have tied enough flies for 3 swaps but am just having more trouble tying these critters than I have with almost any other fly. I have learned a lot with them and if I had time with grandkids here I'd redo the ones I'm about to send but they're good enough to catch hungry fish so they'll go. Getting the right amount of material and the PUFF needed for the body just does not come natural and by the time I'm starting to get the hang of it it's almost time to get them sent in. Those few lucky enough to get the last couple I'm finishing will appreciate the learning curve the rest of you will have to suffer with. The deep caddis have exactly 10 wraps of .10 lead underneath it all on an English #13 wet fly hook.

#49 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:01 PM

Is everyone ok with Congo hair wings on the royal wulff? Tied a half dozen with calf tail but the wings look pretty anemic and I can't get the $$£&@;& stuff to cooperate. If the synthetic is ok, I'll continue with it. If all would prefer a more traditional fly, I'll keep trying with the calf tail.
Tight lines,
David

#50 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:57 PM

David, there are so many qualities of calf tail for fly tying it can drive ya' nuts. I have a pile of tails and a  couple are a thing of beauty to tie with  and others are virtually impossible to tie without  making a mess. Mostly the length of the hair itself and the amount of curl. The texture can vary also from soft and manageable to coarse and stiff. If you have one of the tails that are in the latter category you will have a heck of a time getting controllable wings. When I have good, long controllable hair I tie the tail and wings out of one cut of hair. Tie in tail, wrap ahead to front and turn up and divide wings. This works fine if you have quality hair. 

To your original question, I'm fine with whatever works best for you on the flies. 

#51 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:20 AM

When I have good, long controllable hair I tie the tail and wings out of one cut of hair. Tie in tail, wrap ahead to front and turn up and divide wings.

Hadn't thought about that. I'll try it out tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks!
Tight lines,
David

#52 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:14 PM

got mine all tied up, they even look kind of close to identical from 10 ft away.

#53 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:04 PM

I'll get mine out Monday for better or worse.

#54 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:41 AM

David, there are so many qualities of calf tail for fly tying it can drive ya' nuts. I have a pile of tails and a  couple are a thing of beauty to tie with  and others are virtually impossible to tie without  making a mess. Mostly the length of the hair itself and the amount of curl. The texture can vary also from soft and manageable to coarse and stiff. If you have one of the tails that are in the latter category you will have a heck of a time getting controllable wings. When I have good, long controllable hair I tie the tail and wings out of one cut of hair. Tie in tail, wrap ahead to front and turn up and divide wings. This works fine if you have quality hair. 

To your original question, I'm fine with whatever works best for you on the flies.

A couple of years ago I was at the Northwest Fly Tying Expo. Al and Gretchen Beatty had their booth and were tying with calf tail. They told me that they always wash the new tails with mild shampoo with conditioner. This softens the hair and makes stacking much easier. Al also said the hair you want to tie with is the middle section of the clump you cut. Eliminate the really long ones and the really short ones before putting the hair in the stacker.

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#55 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:51 PM

Nick and Bob,

Your tips helped a lot. They're looking better and are actually a lot quicker to tie. I'll stick with calf tail for this set.

Thanks, guys.
Tight lines,
David

#56 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:52 PM

on their way.

#57 Dubs

Dubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:02 AM

they got here today vicente

nice clousers!

#58 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:48 AM

awesome, glad you like them, the extra bastardized variant is what works best for me here.

#59 Dubs

Dubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:52 PM

vicrider got yours as well

Im sure everyone will appreciate your generous contribution

nothing to be ashamed of in there at all

#60 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:44 PM

SM - Wooly Worm & Tups Indispensable

Was wondering where you got the “Magic Dubbing”? The recipe I found: "1/2 fine wool from the rams indispensable part, the testicles, which is a beautiful dusty yellow; 1/2 cream seal’s fur; a mixture of lemon yellow spaniel underfur; a bit of the pale pinkish and very fine fur from a hare’s mask; a bit of red mohair or red seal’s fur."

yeah, it adds up to more than two halves, but it's dubbing...And I've wondered if the yellow was natural or from the dye rag used to see if the ram had tupped any ewes over  night?