Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

"The Indispensables" Swap

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 Dubs

Dubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:20 PM

Yeah I couldn't source the original haha... most of the examples I found were in the pinkish hue so I used light pink ice dub.

#62 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:54 PM

Got em done. Should have them in the mail by Saturday.
Tight lines,
David

#63 mvendon

mvendon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

SM - Wooly Worm & Tups Indispensable

Was wondering where you got the “Magic Dubbing”? The recipe I found: "1/2 fine wool from the rams indispensable part, the testicles, which is a beautiful dusty yellow; 1/2 cream seal’s fur; a mixture of lemon yellow spaniel underfur; a bit of the pale pinkish and very fine fur from a hare’s mask; a bit of red mohair or red seal’s fur."

yeah, it adds up to more than two halves, but it's dubbing...And I've wondered if the yellow was natural or from the dye rag used to see if the ram had tupped any ewes over  night?

I've made a few small real batches of it starting back in 2007. The original recipe was ram hair, spaniel hair (buff color in the breed), cream seal, and some yellow mohair. Skues suggested replacing the yellow mohair with red seal for whatever reason. The ram hair that I used came from a 12 year old Cotswold ram. There's what I call near hair, then the scrotum hair. There wasn't much scrotum hair in the bunch that I got, but it was easy to tell apart from the other hair, even when it was super soiled. This is what it looks like after cleaning and cut along with the mixed dubbing in natural sunlight against a black tee shirt. It's still in the baggies, but you can pretty much see the coloration. The best information about it is in A. Courtney Williams, A Book Of Flies forTrout. He used the original notes that R S Austin wrote to Skues about it. 

Regards,

Mark

IMGP0964.JPG

#64 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:53 AM

You know, I have the habit of doing dubbing by licking my fingers and rolling the noodle slightly dampened. I think if I was ever doing the original Tup's Indispensable I'd have to give that practice up.

#65 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

You know, I have the habit of doing dubbing by licking my fingers and rolling the noodle slightly dampened. I think if I was ever doing the original Tup's Indispensable I'd have to give that practice up.

The Hendrickson's urine stained vixen belly doesn't bother you then?

#66 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:46 AM

Oh my...No more Hendrickson's for me now.

#67 stabgnid

stabgnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:04 PM

Mine are on the way be there Thursday..

Steve-stabgnid

"I don't fly fish I just love to tie flies"

Steve-stabgnid

#68 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:17 PM

Mine are on the way and should be there Thursday.
Tight lines,
David

#69 Dubs

Dubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:28 PM

Ok, I figure those 2 will be here soon. That will just leave mogup and Mike west, please PM me if your not going to make the due date

#70 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:24 PM

Sorry..my life as been hell lately.
One thing after an other $$$$

No AC for 6 days now and its 95° in my house.
Ive tied these in stages spinning the heads and trimming them tonight. Ill get them there on time.
Sorry for the delay.

#71 Dubs

Dubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

Hey on time is on time, stay coool

#72 Dubs

Dubs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:10 PM

Stabgnid and dflanagan yours were here today, everyone has sent in some nice representations of these patterns

#73 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:12 PM

Mop tailed Muddler..aka Moppy Muddler
Going out to the SM
809591_D4_46_F2_424_C_9812_9_C0077880750

#74 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

Mike, has your AC been fixed?  Rick

#75 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:32 AM

Yep just last night.... I dont know how people survived before the Invention of the air-conditioner