Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

What bugs you?

Of course all the regular things bug me, I break my thread sometimes, and sometime I just cut it by mistake instead. I really hate it when I miss a guide when threading my line, get the fly tied on and try to fish. Then I have to start all over again. (while my buddies already fishing)

But this really bugs me. I tied a perfectly fine mosquito, not perfect but nice enough. The fly was all done, cemented the head and noticed that the hook got bent a little so I tried to bend it back, just a little. And then the hook breaks. Shoot.

DSCF3114-XL.jpg

What bugs you?

Let's keep this to fly tying mistakes/flubs, etc. No politics, religion or people types.

In that vein ... I hate it when I try a new design, hoping it'll do something (float, suspend, swim straight, etc.) and it doesn't even slightly perform the way I wanted.

I've certainly missed a guide or two in my time. Since it always seems to be a guide or two before the tip top, it's not that frustrating. I use a thread furled leader which I double and thread it through the guides. Mainly I just take my time doing it. I think the most frustrating for me is either having the material break, feather, etc, when I'm wrapping it or forgetting, for example, to wrap a rib on a nymph, and not discovering it till the fly is "completed.

Let's keep this to fly tying mistakes/flubs, etc. No politics, religion or people types.

In that vein ... I hate it when I try a new design, hoping it'll do something (float, suspend, swim straight, etc.) and it doesn't even slightly perform the way I wanted.

Yeah, that's what I meant, fly stuff

I remember being in a hurry and fumbling with my brass handled dubbing needle.

It ended up falling from the tying bench and sticking me above the knee!

Accidentally cutting the thread when I trimming something on the fly. You'd think that after 55 years that I would learn to avoid doing that, but no, anytime I tie for at least an hour, I will cut the thread at some point.

Knocking over the unsecured crazy glue !

Knocked over my sparkly loon head cement the last time I tied, short fat bottle with a wide top.

Cutting the thread #1 ditto

Forgetting to tie in the rib before tying the body

Overgluing the head and messing up hackle

Cutting hackle too tight so it unravels

But none of these compares with having to drive through Texas.

To tie a specific fly or two for a specific season at a specific water way 11 miles from home, get there to fish and realize the fly or flies I just tied are at home on the hutch. To beat that I fish those at first light, if I went home I might as well stay there because the sun would have broken out over the tree line by the time I returned, so I stay and fish some other pattern I know won't work and sure enough it doesn't..

bumping those killer caddis plastic bead containers and the resultant departure of beads to parts unknown.