Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tctrout

Soft Hackle Pheasant Tail

Easily one of my "go to" flies, especially when the fish are flashing and taking emergers, the Soft Hackle Pheasant Tail is an easy pattern that I recommend. I'm curious to hear what other feathers you use on soft hackles, aside from Hungarian Partridge, thus please let me know.

Enjoy!

TC

I use a lot of pheasant, partridge English and French(red legged), grouse, Snipe, starling and very recently some comorant I was given.

Are the cormorant feathers oily? I know they keep them so while they're still attached. I wouldn't have thought there'd be much usable from that bird.

Nope, in fact the cormorant is quite the opposite. The fact they are not waterproof is what allows them to dive so well and stay under. The feathers from the wings are very good for spiders and nymphs.

Strong winds cause quite a few to crash round here if you known where to look.

Nope, in fact the cormorant is quite the opposite. The fact they are not waterproof is what allows them to dive so well and stay under. The feathers from the wings are very good for spiders and nymphs.

Strong winds cause quite a few to crash round here if you known where to look.

a heavy sinker causes a few to crash over hear lol they are a pain if your a boat owner and keep your boat in a slip! What a mess they can make

Yep, with the UK having so many stocked coarse and trout fisheries the cormorant is a great example of an animal adjusting its behaviour to plunder a food source. You see more hundreds of miles inland than you ever see near the coast in UK

Hello Tim,

As always you make some of the best how to videos in my opinion. Keep up the great work I really enjoying watching them!!!!

Hello Tim,

As always you make some of the best how to videos in my opinion. Keep up the great work I really enjoying watching them!!!!

Thanks for the kind words!

I use a lot of pheasant, partridge English and French(red legged), grouse, Snipe, starling and very recently some comorant I was given.

Does anyone know if cormorant feathers are legal in the US? If so, any dealers that someone can recommend?

Thanks!

TC

Steve at Cookshill exports if legal and is a great source for all natural game birds and some unusual feathers. Worth an email.

If I can source some more I'll PM you and post a small envelope.