Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

The Down Home Pride Swap

I was looking at a website dedicated to dry fly patterns that originated in my home state of Michigan when I got the idea for this swap. I'd be willing to bet that nearly every state in the union has at least one fly pattern that originated there--Carrie Stevens streamers from Maine, Woolly Buggers from Pennsylvania, and so on. So, I thought, why not have a swap where we all contribute a fly from our home state?

I'm looking for 12 participants here, in addition to myself, so everyone would tie a dozen of their chosen pattern. The only rule is that the pattern must have originated in your state, and, for historical accuracy's sake, you should do a little research first if you have any doubt about a pattern's place of origin. Please respond with your pattern's name and the state you will be representing. Mulitple patterns from the same state are fine, so long as they are different patterns. Due date will be April Fool's Day (April 1) --seems appropriate, right? smile.png

Standard swap rules -- toe tags with your forum user name and pattern name, flies packed in crush-proof containers that I can send back to you, and mailed with a postage-paid return envelope addressed to you.

I guess I should add that, since many of us (myself included) have lived in more than one state, you are free to contribute a fly from either your original home state or your current one.

SM - Rusty's Spinner (Michigan)

1. Flat Rock Native - North Platte River Special, Redhead Variant (Wyoming) & Dostal's Phantom Roo (Nebraska) RECEIVED

2. dflanagan - Crackleback (Missouri) RECEIVED

3. michaelray - Tangerine Dream (California) RECEIVED

4. vicente - Sierra Bright Dot (California) RECEIVED

5. jjs89yj - llanolope (Texas) RECEIVED

6. fishingbobnelson - Rogue River Special (Oregon) RECEIVED

7. djh262 - Henryville Special (Pennsylvania) RECEIVED

8. Rogueflies - Mack's Canyon (Oregon) RECEIVED

9. Idaho RC - Lime Trude Variant (Idaho) RECEIVED

10. wmw4 - Panfish Polecat (Florida) RECEIVED

11. GP flyfisherman - Lefty's Deceiver (Maryland) RECEIVED

12. jpm5107 - Royal Wulff (New York) RECEIVED

SWAP IS FULL! Thanks to all who signed up -- due date is April 1, 2017

All right, good start! Flat Rock Native and dflanagan, you're both on the list. Glad to see my original home state of Missouri will be represented dflanagan ! :)

All right, good start! Flat Rock Native and dflanagan, you're both on the list. Glad to see my original home state of Missouri will be represented dflanagan ! :)

Since I seriously doubt that my home state of Nebraska will be represented, after all I am at Flat Rock rock native, I am willing to tie a second – bonus set- if anyone can point to a fly pattern that originated in the Cornhusker State.

If not, perhaps I can make one up: Kenduardo's Lake Maloney Neon Bologna. This lake, just a 7 minute drive from Flat Rock, is only spot where I have managed to catch a walleye on a fly rod. Game on...

All right, good start! Flat Rock Native and dflanagan, you're both on the list. Glad to see my original home state of Missouri will be represented dflanagan ! smile.png

Since I seriously doubt that my home state of Nebraska will be represented, after all I am at Flat Rock rock native, I am willing to tie a second – bonus set- if anyone can point to a fly pattern that originated in the Cornhusker State.

If not, perhaps I can make one up: Kenduardo's Lake Maloney Neon Bologna. This lake, just a 7 minute drive from Flat Rock, is only spot where I have managed to catch a walleye on a fly rod. Game on...

A Nebraska fly pattern...that may take a little research, but there has to be at least one out there.

Glad to have one more of these, caught 4 different trout species on this pattern, all in same day

It is a great little pattern. I have yet to catch any trout on one but I've caught all kinds of panfish on them. Seems like they work when nothing else will. Looking forward to your North Platte special and all the other cool flies.

California here, I'd love to take part in this one! I'll tie up some of Hogan Brown's S&M Nymph. An incredibly productive pattern developed for the Yuba River.

Northern California for me as well. Mendocino County. There are a few classic steelhead patterns that have been developed on the Russian and Eel, but I can't for the life of me remeber which ones. Haha

Neat swap idea. I'm not in but am interested in whether there are any fly patterns originating from my home state of Kentucky. I don't know of any. If anyone knows of any please let me know.

Neat swap idea. I'm not in but am interested in whether there are any fly patterns originating from my home state of Kentucky. I don't know of any. If anyone knows of any please let me know.

I will note any and let you know if something pops up while I am checking on Nebraska possibles...

I'm California as well trying to find a pattern from here, nor Cal for me.

Maybe check for some Mike Mercer productions, I think The Fly Shop in Redding once touted some of his work.