Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ksevigny

Materials Swap??

Would anyone be interested in a materials swap?? I participated in one last year and it was a lot of fun. I was able to get some new ideas and was able to add a bunch of things to the box that hopefully were useful for others.

ive been in one materials swap on the FAOL website many many years ago and to me it was just a way of getting rid of fly tying materials that you no longer wanted or were just crappy materials. by the time it got to me the contents were so bad that i just put in a few good items and sent the box along to the next swapper without taking anything out.

the swapmeister would populate a mailing box with 5 tying materials and send it off to the first swapper on the list. the first swapper would take out 3 items they wanted and replace with 3 more items. then the first swapper would send the box to the second swapper and the process repeats until the last swapper sends the box back to the swapmeister.

lets be clear. i'm not saying any swapper should be putting in a $90 neck or saddle but at least put in something decent.

Okay, I understand flytire's point in a swap that worked like that. My thought was similar to a fly swap. No, I don't know how that would work. You explain what you're thinking about.

A while back we had a couple of material swap boxes going around on this site but the boxes eventually "disappeared". It was a cool idea because you could try new materials you otherwise wouldn't buy even if they weren't the highest quality. When I got it there was some decent stuff in there I was curious about. If one were to do it now though it would need to be better organized than the last one and there should be something like a minimum post count to participate.

Okay, I understand flytire's point in a swap that worked like that. My thought was similar to a fly swap. No, I don't know how that would work. You explain what you're thinking about.

First thought, an Altoid tin probably is not working for mailing this stuff to swap meister

I hear ya' agn54. I know if it comes to me first and there's good quality materials in there it might get lost in shipping to the next player. :-)

A while back we had a couple of material swap boxes going around on this site but the boxes eventually "disappeared". It was a cool idea because you could try new materials you otherwise wouldn't buy even if they weren't the highest quality. When I got it there was some decent stuff in there I was curious about. If one were to do it now though it would need to be better organized than the last one and there should be something like a minimum post count to participate.

This might have been one of them that was on here . Keep in mind that there aren't nearly as many folks that are on this site now that used to be when the last swap happened. Also - Postal rates have gone up quite a bit.

Regards,

Mark

How about just doing one specific type of material per swap, in good and only partly used condition, like rooster necks/saddles, hen necks/saddles, etc. or maybe 5 spools of something smaller like ultra wire or thread or Antron, hair, Flash, etc in different colors

The other way you could do this would be each swapper stocks and envelope with say $20 worth of material. The swapmiester would verify contents and then randomly ship those envelopes to the swappers.

Camos idea would be workable. You have to be wary too of items crossing US/Canada/Euro borders as some stuff is likely/might to attract attention.

I'd be in for Camos Idea. Sadly, I think this would have to be a one country swap. As with the last materials swap (I read that entire thread and it was hectic!) customs is likely to take some things if we go international.

Provide an envelope with the materials and a list (signed preferably) and then an envelope to send your new materials back in.