Fly Tying
ThatSwedishDude

New to the forum

Hi there !

Im a guy from sweden 36 years of age and a father of twins, boys. I have some nervedamage in my hands, love to fish for pike, but my condition prohibits me from fishing anything above a 7 weight for more than 5-6 hours before my hands cramp out.

So I do some articulated flies and also have been starting to look in to bucktail flies and such. And also dryflies and nymphs. I tie nymphs but not dries.

Hi there !

Im a guy from sweden 36 years of age and a father of twins, boys. I have some nervedamage in my hands, love to fish for pike, but my condition prohibits me from fishing anything above a 7 weight for more than 5-6 hours before my hands cramp out.

So I do some articulated flies and also have been starting to look in to bucktail flies and such. And also dryflies and nymphs. I tie nymphs but not dries.

I bet going to a two handed rod would help your cause for pike fishing. I have some knuckles that lock up on me at this age, I do well out of a boat or canoe in river situations where I can ease up on the range required because I'm right over the fish basically. Same smallie fishing and big breeder pickerel fishing in lakes, where you can at least get the boat into their zone and don't have to reach cast. But still I've considered building at least one switch rod and get two hands involved when wading and to just see what the rage is all about.

Good luck with you new dry fly category and welcome to the forum !

I personally in the last 6 months or so took up tube fly tying. Something I find different in an interesting way and useful or versatile on the water.

LOL " ... anything above a 7 weight for more than 5-6 hours ... "

I am in my 50s. I have an 8 weight rod and no damage in my hands. I think I'm doing good if I can whip that 8 weight for more than 30 minutes.

I'll stick to my 5s and below.

Welcome to the site, Swedish Dude!

Thx everybody ! Im sure i will learn lots and lots from here ! Ill share one of my bucktail craftfur feathered flie with one shank, castable on a 6 weight !

And also I wont go twohanded for pike, even if its a good idea. I rather go one handed and develope new patterns and help others with scimilar problems !

Boats that bed and floats are gold :)