Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
leftyangler

Livingston's Spring Creeks Trout foods

Working on "bug pics" one by one from Livingston's spring creeks. Hope some of you might find interesting, especially if you plan to fish there in near future.

http://leftyangler.blogspot.com/p/sp.html

For example, how many angler have noticed stonefly nymphs in spring creeks? (in this case Golden). Or even so, how many of them are brave enough to fish with it?

I have developed fly-patterns that exactly match these and been catching trout. Then I always improve and design more. Fishing and fly-designing at spring creeks never end even in the middle of Montana winter!

post-46223-0-46595100-1360394085_thumb.jpg

Hey, I know you! I like the websites and articles you've written...you must have a pass to depuy's to spend that much time there. Anyway, you should talk Matt into driving you down to fish the Beaverhead this winter. It's been fishing good, although the biggest fish are pretty well off limits until spring.

what do you mean "brave enough to fish with it?"

I would imagine he means that most throw relatively diminutive flies when fishing spring creeks. A golden stonefly nymph is definitely not the go to nymph for many anglers on Depuy's spring creek. Being brave in these terms could be considered not worrying about success and instead fishing outside the box just to see what happens.

what do you mean "brave enough to fish with it?"

I would imagine he means that most throw relatively diminutive flies when fishing spring creeks. A golden stonefly nymph is definitely not the go to nymph for many anglers on Depuy's spring creek. Being brave in these terms could be considered not worrying about success and instead fishing outside the box just to see what happens.

Sorry anglers, I was a bit busy to check and respond. Thanks Prosopium for speaking my mind. Of course I want to "feel" fish on my line but my big purpose at DePuy's is to experiment new flies and new tactics at every spot imaginable. And to collect more bug samples, ideally from stomach-pumping with trout that I catch with my new flies and tactics.......... BTW, my tie of Golden Stone Nymph is proving itself as a big fish magnet!! I tied dozens for Buzz's nice little shop. One can buy from there when visiting DePuy's or Armstrong's.

the minnow/baby trout is a sculpin.. the reddish larva looks like a black caddis larva...

I wasn't doubting your answer that the dead one is sculpin. But today, I collected a live sculpin with my kick-seine and agreed to your judgement. I took good pictures and uploaded on my list in my blog. Actually live sculpin look really tasty. I was about to...... post-46223-0-74419900-1360899201_thumb.jpgpost-46223-0-69728600-1360899291_thumb.jpg