Fly Tying
xvigauge

Yellar Hammer Wet Fly

Is anyone familiar with the yellar hammer fly? It is a very popular fly here in the Smokies and I caught the biggest Smoky Mountain trout I ever caught on a yellar hammer last week. The Little River Outfitters fly shop here in Townsend sells them. I have been trying to tie my own version without a whole lot of success. An interesting fact is that the main ingredient is the wing feather from the yellarhammer woodpecker or flicker. The feathers from this bird are not legal to possess and the bird is a protected species. I have not been able to find any suitable feathers, but I have read that some tiers have used quail and dove feathers died yellow. I really don't want to mess with the dye. Does anyone know if quail or dove wing feathers died yellow are available anywhere?

Joe

I'm extremely familiar with this pattern!Grew up on the Smokies and fished it quite often.Ive always subbed using a bit of yellow shlappen.You can also use pheasant as well but you'll have to dye it.I don't like dying either,but I've used kool aid in the past with good results.

The fly shop in Gatlinburg used to sell them,not sure about now thougg.There is an Orvis in Pigeon Forge worth checking as well.Other than that the next closest fly shop is about an hour north in Anderson county and they may have it there as well.

I have one hell of a collection of exotic bird skins.If I find something on one of them that suits your needs your more than welcome to have it!

These will work well I believe. They are the rump feathers of a scarlet macaw. If you think they would work I'll send em to you.

post-3092-0-07433100-1530740180_thumb.jpg

Hi Joe,

If you have any starling, grouse, or even partridge wing feathers, they would work. You could probably color them with a good sized yellow magic marker if you don't have any already dyed yellow. Here's what a partridge wing feather looks like wrapped before trimming the ends back. I just did this really quick after reading your post and used the hackle pliers to keep it from winding back. This one was already dyed yellow using picric acid.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-54417500-1530741939_thumb.jpg

Only the Indians can legally use flicker feathers. The usual substitute today is mourning dove wing feathers, as they are about the same size. Dyed yellow, of course. You have to split the feather in order to wrap them. The Yella Yammers I've seen were tied with the biots from the leading edge. Davidson River Outfitters used to stock them as well.

Hi Joe,

If you have any starling, grouse, or even partridge wing feathers, they would work. You could probably color them with a good sized yellow magic marker if you don't have any already dyed yellow. Here's what a partridge wing feather looks like wrapped before trimming the ends back. I just did this really quick after reading your post and used the hackle pliers to keep it from winding back. This one was already dyed yellow using picric acid.

Regards,

Mark

attachicon.gifIMGP0957.JPG

Thanks for the info. I will see what I can do.

Joe

These will work well I believe. They are the rump feathers of a scarlet macaw. If you think they would work I'll send em to you.

PM sent.

Joe

Gotcha covered bud!Going in the mail when I get home.

A white hen neck dyed yellow should work. I've used a yellow dyed grizzly which isn't exact, but what does a fish know?

Does anyone have an original pattern for this fly? I have seen pictures and found limited discussions but have never run across the traditional materials. I saw something of barred lemon wood duck for the tail and yellow silk for the body but are Yelller Hammer (Flicker) feathers actually called for?

Awesome. Thanks.

I found feathers in my yard where a hawk or owl laid into a flicker. No wing feathers, my guess is that they were breast feathers. Light tan colored with a round black spot. I saved about 20 of them and I plan to use them as cheeks/eyes on bigger streamers. Too big to use as a jungle cock sub.