Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

It has to be googleable for trout

Swap is Full

I am caught up on swaps (except dryer lint swap) and was thinking of something a little unusual, but not quite as unusual as the household material swap.

First, no one lists their fly. Keep it a secret.

Second, you find a fly you've never heard of, you figure most people have never heard of, but is a legitimate fly you'd tie on for your own use.

Third, you must include with the toe tag a googleable name for fly that we can look up recipe if we want to do our own, or a link to where you found the fly and recipe.

Since the crossover between trout and 'gills is a shifting line, panfish pattern you'd also use on trout is great. Nymphs, streamers, wets, drys, they're all eligible if in the above criteria. If we could get a dozen involved that'd be a fly for each. 6 we could two different or same at your option. Since fishing time is rapidly closing in on tying time I'd look at a date like tax day (American style...April 15th) unless someone wants in and needs a bit more time.

Nick Szabo

PO Box 361

Cheyenne, OK 73628

Swapmeister...Maple-Andra...Treacle Parkin...Klympen

1 .professori..............Olive Willie

2. pychoprince...........UV Rainbow Warrior

3. netabrookie...........Taquine...Tellico

4. jd1983...................Pheasnant Back Streamer

5. fishingbobnelson...Quick Tie Caddis

6. shoebop................Isonychia Spinner

7. Joe Russell............Dr. Frank's Blue Steel Caddis

8. gunpowderleader...Goddard UPS Dun

9. jburge....................Pink Pookie

10. Tim980................Forget Me Knot Midge

11. DavidHE..............Kyoto Kebari

12. Nate Dubay.........Glow in the Ass Caddis

So are these like Rumsfled's "things we don't know we don't know"? I tried to look up "flies I've never heard of" on google but it came up blank (just like me)..I'm in (I think), if I can find a fly I never heard of.

Second, you find a fly you've never heard of, you figure most people have never heard of, but is a legitimate fly you'd tie on for your own use.

This sounds like a really good challenge so I am in. I have to ask, is "googleable" one of those new words that I have never heard of? I am sure that I will spend more time on the computer looking now than I will at the vise when I finally find something.

I'd like to be in on this one too. My fly knowledge is limited so I will try my best to pick one most people haven't heard of.

Yeah Tony, I doubt it's a real word but probably will be one of these days. I just like the sound of it...googleable... Sounds good guys. I'll start filling things in and hope we can get to that dozen mark. If Nate Dubay doesn't check in I'll pm him. Most of the things he includes in swaps I've been in are already unusual so this should be right up his alley.

Vicrider, I'm from the south and we tend to make up words if necessary. Just pick an existing word and add a prefix or suffix and use it even if it aint in the dictionary (yet). I was wrong about the computer time because I have already found what I am tying. It is an older pattern well known to my region but hopefully it will be new to some. Googleable......that does have a nice ring to it....if it is ever brought up in the future, I will back you up that you originally coined the phrase "goolgeable".

I'll give it a go. I just bought a book with loads of patterns. Shouldn't be too much of a problem finding one I never heard of.

Welcome guys. Just 2 more for an even dozen. We should definitely get some new to us patterns on this one, and since the criteria is something you would use yourself nothing should be TOO outlandish.