Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave G.

Feather Emporium

Does anyone use this company ? I went online to the site, the Bugger collection of capes and strung materials is awesome. I've never seen such a collection anywhere. I'm not plugging for them, just like to know if this is for real. I'm looking for feathers like these : http://featheremporium.com/Fly-Tying-Feathers/wooly-buggar-hackle.html#

yes its for real

i have ordered from them several times and everything i ordered was fine and delivered in a week

be aware that you will not receive whiting hackles in the actual whiting package just a plain old zip lock bag.

if thats a deal breaker, move on and find another place to buy hackles

sometimes sh!t happens and he can be a little slow but things can get worked out

unfortunately there was this one thread

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=80549&hl=%2Bfeather+%2Bemporium

and this one

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=81775&hl=%2Bfeather+%2Bemporium

Thanks ! I generally buy from Bears Den, he has a generic line that can be good and the shop is 40 miles from home. But I nevert know for sure till I get there what he has for sure in stock. almost always Wapsi as a second line below whiting if not the actual store generics though. I'm specifically looking for some of the shapes and colors I see at the Feather Emporium. I will read the two links you supplied.

I'm not really a beginner, been tying for 25 or more years but posted in here. If it's a good place , others should know. I've seen it come up in searches and never paid any attention before yesterday ! Probably because I go to Bears Den, kind of hanging my hat on the thought they will something I need.

That's great, thanks again.

DG

I got a private message stating they weren't too happy. But there seems to be quite a few happy customers here. My order shouldn't be too complex, nor too much volume so I anticipate no difficulty, based on all the info I've read.

i dont pay too much attention to one unsatisfied customer. theres usually some sort of bad attitude involved, wanting too much from the vendor, being impatient etc

I did ask if there was something about the order that might have been unusal, or time consuming in some way in other words. Thus far no reply but the poster could be busy, what ever. I'm not overly concerned either, this tying season is almost done. I'll probably pick back up again in mid winter for spring tying and I have lots of other material or flies I can tie meanwhile.

Going to Maine the second week in Sept, the flies I use there don't require what I want from the Emporium. And at that I've tied some already ( as long as I don't forget to pack them LOL). I bring my tying gear there always, it's almost 400 miles from home and can't count the times we have had to whip up something we didn't have or the store sold out of.them.

They sell Whiting capes in the original package as well, the plainly packaged ones are their show capes, which are a mix of Whiting and Hebert-Miner. I also believe they are slightly cheaper. I have ordered from them without any problems, and would gladly order again.

From their site: These are the high quality unpackaged mix of Whiting and Hebert dry fly capes I have at the shows. They grade out between a Bronze and Silver.

They sell Whiting capes in the original package as well, the plainly packaged ones are their show capes, which are a mix of Whiting and Hebert-Miner. I also believe they are slightly cheaper. I have ordered from them without any problems, and would gladly order again.

From their site: These are the high quality unpackaged mix of Whiting and Hebert dry fly capes I have at the shows. They grade out between a Bronze and Silver.

Nice to know thanks !

Im waiting on an order placed Sept 29, 2016. Two phone calls to the number on the web site gets no answer and voice mail is full. Im hoping things work out - my order wasn't that big.

Im waiting on an order placed Sept 29, 2016. Two phone calls to the number on the web site gets no answer and voice mail is full. Im hoping things work out - my order wasn't that big.

Incidentally, they answer the phone at JStockard .

Lot's of problems with Dave Roberts at Feather Emporium I see. All the problems that I have had alerted me to your site. I finally sent an e-mail to Whiting Farms. Here is what they said in their reply to me:

I am sorry for your experience with Feather Emporium. Although Dave Roberts is selling Whiting Farms products, he is no longer a dealer for us. He has bought thousands of pelts from us in the past and I would guess he still has a large amount of our product to move. We do not have him listed as one of our dealers and we do not encourage anyone to purchase from him. Again, I apologize for any inconveniences.

So there you have it folks - buy from him, and you are going to lose your money! End of story.

My experiences with Dave at Feather Emporium are great. I have ordered many times from him with no issues. I emailed him once about dying some partridge skins an odd color for me. He contacted me back by phone, dyed the skins to a just the right color at a great price and I couldn't have been happier.

Of course Whiting wouldn't encourage anyone to purchase from him, it doesn't help their current sales.