Fly Tying
MontanaScott

About to build a portable bench - suggestions (and pics) appreciated

Hi everyone.

I am recently retired and want to get back into the shop to build a portable tying bench...so anyone have good suggestions for features/designs? The sky is the limit...I have lots of tools, wood and sawdust makers. Most importantly...I have lots of time (at least until the rivers thaw out up here in Montana).

Anything you like/dislike about your setup? Any design suggestions/features greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

I happen to like a very large flat surface with a pull-out "shelf" below to attach my clamp for my vise. I keep my most used tools in a small caddy on the "shelf" as well. I can re-arrange the items on the surface of the table and I don't have drawers that become inaccesible due to items on the table or my body in front of a center drawer. What I would keep in drawers I have in plastic totes - this provides flexability should I need extra room in the future.

By "portable tying bench" ... do you mean one that you can take into the living room or kitchen from the den? Or do you mean something you can take to the local tying club once a month or weekly?

Moving around the house allows for a larger bench that's easily moved from place to place. Perhaps even a station on wheels.

Travelling out of the house requires more a compact, portable and close-able box. In this case, there is another thread running that has a lot of good pictures and designs, but it's under the heading "travel tying kits".

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=87716

I am no real help but I am watching thread with great interest because I am in the same situation. Hoping to get more involved in tying after 15 years of hiatus and the kitchen table just isn't cutting it.

I have a Gander Mt. folding camp table I use now in the living room and a "modular" materials storage system that allows semi-fast deployment from a closet . . . but I'd like to get a little more focused.

I have a full woodshop and I've been a amateur hobbyist woodworker for 40 years. My portable desk was my fathers who was a farmer and not a woodworker. It's irreplaceable but I made a few changes to it. My need for a portable desk was simply portability and efficiency, not material storage per se. When I'm moving about the house I just take the few materials I will be tying with the desk, otherwise my desk is not used for material storage. Less is more so lots of open flat space works for me. I made one with lots of different size holes for jars and such with fancy scoop outs and cups but they turned out to be nothing more then eye candy and a terrible use of space with added weight. I gave that one away when I inherited by fathers.

I made a small box for hooks and beads and other doodads that are most efficiently stored in their original packaging. I extended the length of the spool storage across the back so each rod can store three spools of thread, wire, Mylar, or wire. As you can see I like having my thread on their own bobbins so I added holes for about 16 bobbins. I'm always adding more bobbins when I can find them for 6 bucks or less. I have clamp on vises on both sides. One for little stuff and one for really big stuff like bucktail jigs. My favorite addition was a harbor freight magnet across the front where I can stick my tools. They never get lost in the clutter.

Another addition I may make is to add a light to the desk. I just did this with a new pedestal base for my traveling out of the house vise and it's awesome. Again, portability is key and carrying a lamp with a heavy base around and the desk is less efficient then it could be. Can't see why it would not be equally awesome on a portable desk.

post-48414-0-64103700-1551497263_thumb.jpg

post-48414-0-85381900-1551497299_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the feedback everyone. To answer Mike's question: I am referring to the wooden "lap-table" like the one pictured here:

post-33039-0-07985200-1551541288_thumb.jpg

I've built, and used, a few in the past with mixed results. I like the convenience and ability to "move around the house as needed" to feed my tying addiction, but have never been completely satisfied with similar designs. Some feel too "cramped" while others had other annoyances. Just looking for some feedback on what people like/dislike about theirs (for those that have and use them). I'd like to build a prototype for myself soon and see how I can refine it for the next one. Comments/suggestions/feedback/whatever most definitely welcome.

for my personal tying i use this one

its 20" wide and is wide open on the sides for full access

tools and spools are on the back of the bench and out of the way. nothing to cramp your arms by having bobbin holders on the side and in the way

PEnqp2l.jpg

http://www.flytybench.com/category/fly-tying-benches/

WKyGSe6.jpg

google "fly tying benches" and view the images. note the construction of various benches that you may want to incorporate into your bench and copy the photo

I like having some spindles for spools of thread and tinsels. Ypu need a plate behind the fly from your line of vision. A holder for glue and cememt. A place to put your tied flies.

i had the oasis tying bench shown in post #8 and it just had way too many holes in just the wrong places

the brass pins for holding spools should be on the back of the bench so you dont scratch your arms in the sharp pins + they dont give much elbow room

i had to add vinyl protectors on the ends of the pins or they would have been removed in their entirety

snukGaF.jpg

I am recently retired and want to get back into the shop to build a portable tying bench...

Portable so you can tie bugs in the Bahamas or so you can tie in the living room and take it down in between sessions (one would be more bigger than the other)? Seems like a hinged box that has a lip across the handle edge, with fold-down legs somehow, someway, might do the Bahamas scenario. There must be youtube vids on folding legs. You do nice work. I looked at your wood working website. I have a shop too but I'm a prototype hacker. And not a fine wood worker.

Maybe you should...........build revolutionary new drift boat design. :=))