Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Trouta_Control

Quill Nymphs

Is it possible to tie up a quill nymph and use epoxy for the finish? (As opposed to a UV light and UV resin? It seems an expensive up front cost for all the UV gear.)

From what I've learned, if you're using epoxy, you'll probably need a slow rotating drying (curing) tool. Something you can put your finished fly on, and it will keep the epoxy from pooling/dripping as it sets up.

Of course, if you're only tying a couple, you could spin them by hand as they cure.

Is it possible to tie up a quill nymph and use epoxy for the finish? (As opposed to a UV light and UV resin? It seems an expensive up front cost for all the UV gear.)

yes

you do not need uv resins to coat quill nymphs

head cement, crazy glue, clear nail polish will do the job.

apply a coat of cement on the thread wraps and then wrap the quill forward. then coat the finished body with a cement or polish of your choice.

epoxy would take a little longer to cure and may require turning the vise or a dedicated rotary device

i have just rotated the vise for curing epoxy but that takes away from tying more flies

One other point ... does it need to be coated at all? Clear coating the body makes it look wonderful while you're holding it in your hand. But most clear coats will be invisible underwater, where it counts for the fish. The fish only see the material on the hook.

So, as flytire says, anything will do to secure/toughen up the fly ... it need not leave a thick, glassy finish. Unless, of course, you're tying them to sell to other anglers. That clear glassy finish WILL catch you more of those!

Epoxy will also yellow in time. I try not to use UV cure since I'm cheap. Sally Hansons works, is cheap, and easy enough.