Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mrbamboo

Newbie Emerger

I would like to introduce myself.

In 1970's I was introduced to flyfishing in a High-School Fly-Tying class, where we learned to tie flies,built a Fenwick Fiberglass Fly rod,and learned how to cast. I purchased fly tying materials in a small Walnut Creek shop located under a freeway until I graduated HS. After that I built Bamboo Fishing rods and rolled glass rod blanks (thus mrbamboo), until I sold that business off in the late 1990's. After that I found a gentleman in Kenya who sold me flies for 5 cents apiece, so I purchase many of them (about $5,000 worth). Now I am retired and have quite a bit of fly tying materials and equipment, and now have the time to fish.

Paul

welcome, Paul

I always wanted to build a cane rod. Did you make the blanks or is there a supplier?

Welcome to the site, Paul. I hope we can provide some entertainment value.

Sounds as though you don't need much advice, but I hope you're willing to give some.

I think Tonkin bamboo from china is the preferred bamboo for fly rods. I can see that being a big deal in Japan.

Welcome to the site and retirement. I officially retired last week.