Fly Tying
Mike West

Blue Planet II & Giant Trevally

I had this recorded for ages and just watched it.

They have a section where Gaint Trevally are jumping out of the water and catching birds in mid flight.

Really freaking cool!

I have never seen a real one, only on TV and in magazines do they go aerial like that when hooked.?

Cant edit the title

Blue Planet II

Thx

I just watched another show this weekend that said by the year 2050 There will be more plastic by weight in the ocean than fish.

Thats scary and so sad.

Its my personal opinion that the people in this world that comment severe violations on our oceans and just rape her, Like catching tens of thousands of pounds of sharks just for their fins, and dumping garbage and poisons should face severe prison terms. Not some monetary fine thats a drop in the bucket to them.

... dumping garbage and poisons should face severe prison terms.

It's not just the "major perpetrators." I don't know anybody who is innocent of some sort of ecological damage. It's not what people do ... it's that there's too many of them doing it.

One of my anglers had me do an order for him -as he was bound for the Seychelles and planned on shooting at a few G. T.s if he got the chance... I can hardly imagine wading towards the edges of a flat and having fish that might be 60lbs and larger coming racing your way out of the deeps... What I came up with for him was the same bug he uses for giant tarpon, the Tarpon Snake, size 4/0 - but with a few color variations... They worked like a charm until you watched your fly line and backing screaming towards the sharp edges of hard coral growth along the outside edges of the flats... I've never guided on foot with heavy rods and imagine his guide got a bit tired of toting a 10 and 12 wt along while his angler was using a light rod for bonefish - just on the outside chance that GT's might show up...

Our biggest jacks that might show up inshore are the Jack Crevalles.. and they get up to 50lbs (but you rarely ever see one bigger than maybe 30lbs) - A big jack is all you can stand on a fly rod - GT's must be in a much different world than the one I know... At any rate here's a few pics of the original Tarpon Snake in black and two of the five variations that went to the Seychelles. I'm sure that GT's will eat a variety of offerings but these worked whenever my angler could get one near a feeding fish...

byqx4XB.jpg

the original Tarpon Snake - size 4/0, overall length 6.5 to 7.0 inches long...

04k2Hm9.jpg

for murky water tarpon - fish on the other side of the world came after it like they were starved

9rpjl3t.jpg

This color variation should work anywhere in the world when lots of bait is found with hungry fish in attendance....

Makes one wonder how many days,weeks or years the videographer spent following that fish around to catch that moment. How much money that few seconds of film cost.

I did see a largemouth bass try to eat a half grown mallard once, puled it under three times but eventually the duckling escaped, of course being real life I had no camera.

I tie some 14-16" long streamers with bucktail wings sticking out the side and use that to continue false casting over the water, letting it settle to withing a foot of the water, than lifting it back to false cast again. This brings those GT streaking out of the water to grab the streamers on the fly without ever having to actually touch the water and get the nice streamer all wet.

And, in more honest reflections, I also watched that Blue Planet series recently and it was amazing to see those GT launching after the birds. The ability to fly doesn't make you safe in that case. Twice in over 60+ years of bass fishing had bass come out of the water and grab my popper before it hit the water. Rather startling to have that happen. Once had a small northern pike launch from about a foot away just to come down on top of my popper, grab it and promptly cut himself free with those razor teeth.