Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Greetings from the dark continent

20 replies to this topic

#16 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:29 AM

When I hooked that one, I thought I had a big Bowfin.  It didn't come up and jump, so I was pretty sure it wasn't a bass.  I had to give it line several times as it ran.  I would love to figure out how to target them all the time, not just the once in a while bite.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#17 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

I figured they fought well.  They look a lot like an oscar, which is a cichlid that are abundant in south Florida. They fight really hard but never jump so you know its not an LMB when you hook one.  I have seen them on lakes in central florida busting the surface, so I wonder if dry flies of some sort would work in those situations?

#18 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

imagine the fight from a four pounder snatch hooked in the side!  Like pulling a sheet of plywood thru the water.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#19 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:20 PM

Guys tilapia are NOT strictly hrebivorous. They are much like carp actually. They do eat a lot of plant matter, but also eat fish eggs, small fish, aquatic worms, aquatic insects, and crayfish. I've found all of these inside blue tillapia from Lake George on the St. John's river in FL. We bow fished them. Caught them on ratt-l-traps, crankbait a, rubber worms, soft plastic jerk baits, and various bluegill baits.
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#20 Rooiwillie

Rooiwillie

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:13 AM

Here are pics of the flies I mentioned earlier. These are not photos I took myself, I found them on the web. See my previous posts where I explain how I usually fish them. The legs on the stonefly I use is about 1/3 the length of the 1 showed in the pic, and also it's pitch black.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
Henry David Thoreau

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."
Tony Blake

#21 DanielDuane

DanielDuane

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:56 AM

i agree with fisherboy0301. tilapia are not strictly herbivorous, i live in south africa and i've caught hundreds of them on fly. In my opinion redbreast tilapia are the most aggressive, and fight super hard! one technique is to chum with bread, and then, once they're feeding, cast a bread fly or a large DDD or adams irresistible into the feeding area. a more "pure" technique is to find them and cast to a sighted fish. on a very hot day, they will often sit just below the surface of the water. any well presented fly will be taken. in the evenings they can be super fun on dry. however, the best way to catch them, and the most fun, is to target them on their beds in spring, twitch a large streamer over their bed and they'll attack viciously! try use a streamer that swims inverted, such as a small closer, to avoid snags. their beds will often be over rocky or sandy/muddy bottoms, the beds just look like large, dark circles on the bottom of the dam. my favourite flies are: slow sinking bread flies and adams irrisistables for the chum technique; white deaths, bloodworms and PTN's with long, micro rubber legs. (the PTN's work super well); para adams', small foam hoppers (#14) and small foam beetles work well in the evening rise; for bed fishing i like a small clouser or strip leech, in sunfish or bass colours. 

Ive heard good things about berry flies but have never tried them, if none of the above conditions prevail, then blind fishing with a small woolly bugger or rubber leg PTN also works well.

Reply to this topic