Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hello from Kentucky

8 replies to this topic

#1 kyblev

kyblev

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

Just joined the forum. I'm a 22 year retired veteran and have decided to give fly tying another try. Where I live here in south central there are not any fly shops closer than a couple hour drive. There is a big opportunity here being lost as Cumberland river is down the road and KYDNR stocks several streams in the area.  I wanted to pick up tying again so I wouldn't have to rely on someone over 2 hours away recommending what to use.  I started again and have realized how much I enjoy it.  Who knows maybe I can get something started here.  But just wanted to say hello and look forward to becoming a part of the forum.

#2 Powershooter

Powershooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:39 AM

Welcome to the site.
Bo Hamby

#3 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:34 PM

Ask questions, search old threads, all the information needed is here somewhere. List of good supply houses here; http://www.flytyingf...116#entry736821

basic materials; http://www.flytyingf...533#entry729182

#4 kyblev

kyblev

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:00 PM

Thanks folks. This site looks really awesome. I'm planning a trip this spring to Adirondacks for some fly fishing. I really liked the thread on tying flies. Great info and finally a site that showes the process and materials. Now searching for a better vice. Budget 100-200. Any recommendations.

#5 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,738 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:06 PM

Welcome to the site, Kyblev.  Glad to see you find your way "back" to fly tying.  Here in Florida, I rarely see another fly angler on the water.  I always get attention.  Hopefully, you'll get some too, maybe start a fly tying "game night" !!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#6 kyblev

kyblev

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:28 PM

The fly tying game night sounds interesting. My wife works out of town most of the week so it's just me. That could work. There are folks who fly fish below the dam, but most are out of towners. I've got a creek down the road full of smallmouths, think I'm gonna give it a try on fly this spring.

#7 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:28 PM

Welcome to the site.  I spent a few years in NW Tennessee long before I took fly fishing.  I've been using a Danvise for 15 years now.  The price last time I brought  one was around $100.  Not a pretty vise.  Blue collar would be a fitting description.  Once you start fishing for smallies you'll forget all about trout.  Besides the flies are easier to tie.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#8 kyblev

kyblev

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:37 PM

Philly, thanks for the info.  I know what smallies can do on a ultra lite.  Can't wait to try one on a fly rod.

#9 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:41 PM

Welcome from PA and thanks for your service.

Reply to this topic