Fly Tying
garetjax

PEAK vise waste basket reccomendations?

I am looking for a waste basket that attaches to my PEAK PRV-G2 fly tying vise. Can anyone reccomend a waste basket for this vise and link them here please?

Or if anyone knows of other substitutes to keeping your fly tying area clean, please post them here. =)

Thanks!

Usually I just but all my excess material in a little pile off to one side and clear it off into a wastebasket when I am done. I suppose it you put down a tissue and put all excess material on top of that you could just fold up the tissue and throw that away.

Although I haven't done it yet, I am going to contact Peak and see if I can purchase the plastic clamp like the bobbin holder comes out of. I use the bobbin holder a lot , but it would be nice to also have a small wire frame that holds a standard plastic grocery bag. This would be nice at tie-ins to keep trimmings off the carpet. Mike

Any $10 eBay scrap bag will fit the Peak or any bag for that matter. Be sure to super glue the bobbin rest to the rod if you have kids. I can't find mine and no longer use the bobbin rest LoL! I hate not haveing it,just have not got around to calling Kurt for another one. A scrap bag is a must for me.

Brent

Although I haven't done it yet, I am going to contact Peak and see if I can purchase the plastic clamp like the bobbin holder comes out of. I use the bobbin holder a lot , but it would be nice to also have a small wire frame that holds a standard plastic grocery bag. This would be nice at tie-ins to keep trimmings off the carpet. Mike

I didn't even think of that! Great idea. =)

This cheapie that I got off of ebay for about 10 bucks attaches to my Peak and works pretty well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Disposal-Waste-Bag...1QQcmdZViewItem

Do you like your Peak vise pretty well? I am just amazed at mine. I've tied on several different vises over the years and this one is hands down the best at any price I've tried.

Greg

For the price the Peak holds it's ground.

The next best is the Dyna King Trekker or Barracuda. I'd buy the DK cause i'm a picky azz and want the best no matter what the price.

Brent

You might be intrested in this, Mike. It's not lsited on PEAK's site as of yet, but Kurt made mention that they had these in stock.

Bobbin Cradle BOB-1

IPB Image

• Fits all 3/8” diameter riser shafts

I just wrapped a wire hanger around the post and then took the other end did the same thing and use a plastic shopping bag to dump scraps into. The bags are free from shopping, cost $0000000000000.

Priceless

Never owned a dyna king but I have tied on them a few times. I wouldn't trade it for my Peak even though the barracuda costs 2 - 3 times more. I just don't care for the locking mechanism on the DK's. To me the Peak is simpler and easier to get a secure hook hold. Just my opinion.

Greg

Thank you garetjax for the information. I'll give them a call today.

I sure like my Peak vice, but only tied on one other.

I have the best Cabela's cheap line. ($25?) I had to dissamble it and belt sand and lightly grease the cam action to get it to operate smoothly. I also have to keep it wiped down with a lightly oiled rag to avoid rust. It still works ok, but it's a dream to tie on my PEAK!!! Mike

Save your money...

Take a PAPER grocery bag (you'll have to ask otherwise you get plastic...).

Cut it down to about 8" in height.

Make 2 cuts down, about 2", in the corners on one wide side.

This side is the rear. Fold outward from the end of one cut to the other. Fold the remaining 2" that is on the other 3 sides down INSIDE the bag. That makes the bag rigid.

You now have a free standing bag with a 2" wide strip towards the rear, projecting rearwards.

When clamping your vise to the table, insert the left side of the tab in the clamp, under the table top and above the bottom part of the clamp. Take a spring type clothes pin and clip the right side to the underside of the table top. Voila! You have a garbage collector placed under your vise. When it's full, throw it and make another.

-E

Save your money...

Take a PAPER grocery bag (you'll have to ask otherwise you get plastic...).

Cut it down to about 8" in height.

Make 2 cuts down, about 2", in the corners on one wide side.

This side is the rear. Fold outward from the end of one cut to the other. Fold the remaining 2" that is on the other 3 sides down INSIDE the bag. That makes the bag rigid.

You now have a free standing bag with a 2" wide strip towards the rear, projecting rearwards.

When clamping your vise to the table, insert the left side of the tab in the clamp, under the table top and above the bottom part of the clamp. Take a spring type clothes pin and clip the right side to the underside of the table top. Voila! You have a garbage collector placed under your vise. When it's full, throw it and make another.

-E

That sounds like a nifty idea! Do you think you can provide a picture of your creation? =)

Here is the material bag that I purchased for my Peak Vise:

IPB Image

I picked this up at the Hook and Hackle website for under $10 with internet discount.

IPB Image

It is not the most elegant looking (and is cheaply made) but it works fine for me.

If I had one gripe, I would say that to remove it from the vice, you have to loosen

the set-screw in the vise base and remove the vice rod. A clamp on feature would be much nicer.

Tom