Fly Tying
flytire

hmh trv review

Anyone out there who actually owns a HMH TRV care to give a review? I'm seriously considering purchasing one and would love to have an owner's opinion. It seems their dealers are not stocking them so I have not been able to locate one to handle. Based on photos of the TRV from last year when it was announced, it looks like HMH has made some refinements to the vice shown in the video.

Any input is appreciated-

Thanks!

Chugbug thank you for taking the time to post those. It seems HMH has corrected the initial quality issues.

It does? Where are you finding that information? The clip at the top of the thread is just a commercial from the manufacturer. Have yet to see an independent review, nor are these in the shops yet, so not much to go on

Whatfly, I agree, there is very little to go on which is why I used the term “seems”. I based that on the few statements and photos regarding the TRV that I have found on line. Sadly, HMH has not distributed the TRV to my local dealers so it’s like buying on Amazon-

In the attached post from Brazzer69 back in December 2017 said he purchased one of the original 100 TRV’s offered and later returned it mostly due to quality issues. Rebuttals to Brazzer69 from AK Skim and others posted this spring said they were happy with the TRV. Perhaps they purchased vices further along in development? I don’t know-

I did notice in the manufacturer’s promotional video and other recent photos of the TRV the finish looks to have been improved when compared to older photos. Other subtle changes include the style of knobs and it looks like they swapped the angle adjustment from a thumb knob to an allen head. Minor points but it tells me that someone at HMH is actively modifying the vice..

Admittedly I like the design and I’m ok with the price tag provided the TRV is at least as solid as their Standard and Spartan vices. I was really hoping there was more than two or three owners on this forum willing to chime in.

Hi DFoster

I have one of the 1st 100 HMH TRV's & I also just got one of their new 2nd gen jaws that does have a better finish. I am a big vise collector and I am lucky enough to own a LAW as well so I can give you a good idea of what you get compared to a LAW and just how the vise is in general. Also, if you are going to the International Fly Tying Symposium I will be one of the pro tyers there and will be tying on my TRV so I can show you in person.

It would probably be easier to make a video and I might do that if I have sometime but for now Ill go over what I like about the TRV (I have the exhibition with brass base)

• The jaws of the TRV are cast compared to the LAW which was machined and then hand finished by Lawrence Waldron
  • The new TRV jaws are still cast but they are not as "rough" as the original casts were and have a darker finish (its almost black)
  • The original wheel to open and close the jaws was very "sharp" and hand hard edges. Jon Larrabee (owner of HMH) quickly made new ones where he rounded out all the edges and its a lot better. He swapped out the wheel when I saw him at the Fly Fishing Show in Edison
  • Performance of the TRV is very good I have put a 4/0 - 26 in it and it hold fine
  • adjusting the angle of the jaw so you can get the hook inline for true rotary is nice (you can't do that on a law)
  • The fit and finish overall is very good, the brass base is nice and heavy and the rest of the HMH components are from their other vises where are all top quality
  • The grooves work but I like the ones on the LAW better.

If you happen to have the chance to get a LAW I would get it because overall its better (in little ways) but the TRV is the closest most people will get and it works well. Let me know what questions you have and I will be happy to answer them.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael thank you for the very useful information. It sounds like my guess based on photos was more or less correct and that HMH has made some improvements to the TRV over the past year. I would love to have a LAW- but as a hobby fly tier and weekend fly fisherman explaining to my wife why I need $3-4 grand for a vice instead of a new dining room set might be a tough sell. The TRV at $500 is much more attainable and it sounds like it is in line with their other products.

Thank you again and have a great weekend!

Hi Michael thank you for the very useful information. It sounds like my guess based on photos was more or less correct and that HMH has made some improvements to the TRV over the past year. I would love to have a LAW- but as a hobby fly tier and weekend fly fisherman explaining to my wife why I need $3-4 grand for a vice instead of a new dining room set might be a tough sell. The TRV at $500 is much more attainable and it sounds like it is in line with their other products.

Thank you again and have a great weekend!

but it's going to feel and taste exactly the same eating from a 400$ dinning room set.