Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Customing view of the forum (s)

10 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_729

Bill_729

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:26 AM

Is there a way to show just the subsections of the forum that a user wishes to see (I was able to do this on a woodworking forum, not sure if it is possible here)? For instance, I may not wish to see Saltwater or Steelhead and Salmon tying.  If not, no problem, just drop it in the suggestion box.   : )

><===)'>      --8888o-------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:35 AM

as an example, if you only want to play in the "fly tying bench" subsection then just bookmark it to your bookmarks tool bar on your browser and youll get nothing else

i use the chrome browser

i dont think you can cherrypick (more than one) subsections you only want to play in

the subsections of the forum that nobody can make a reply could be deleted

somebody moved "timely tips" to be a subsection under the "fly tying bench" section but nobody can post anything to it. what was the point? can it be activated?

The fish care less than we do!

#3 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,575 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:57 AM

If this was a super-busy site, then I'd see the desire for reducing the number of forums you see. 

I like going through all the forums to see what people are posting.  Actually, there are the regular posters, who posts in multiple forums ... so browsing through them all isn't like looking at different sites.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:24 AM

Mike,

Aside from focusing on just those you want, It would be nice to be able to clear away all the 'dead'  sub sties. 

Rocco

#5 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:59 AM

If you look at the top right corner of this page there is a button "View New Content", if you go to the main forum page http://www.flytyingforum.com/ and click on this button you will see only the current active topics- bookmark this and every time you visit you will see only the active topics. Or do as flytire suggests and just bookmark the subforum you want to use, if one day you want to see more, it's dead simple to navigate to the main board. hope this helps.

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,761 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

Yes you can simply minimize sections you don't want to see. On the main forum page where the darker blue header for each section is, put your cursor arrow on the right hand corner of the dark blue header. You will see a + and - appear. If you click the minus then that section will minimize and you will no longer see it.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#7 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:42 PM

Worked like a charm. 

Thanks,

Rocco

#8 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:44 PM

yes you can minimize a "section" but you cant minimze individual categories you dont want to view

for instance

if i'm in the "fly tying forum" category, i cant minimize "fising reports" "green caddis news" or "entemology" sub categories that have no interst to me

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,761 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

I never said you could minimize each individual category, I don't think any forum software has that sort of thing on it. Minimizing sections should get rid of a lot of un-used sections for people that aren't interested in certain  things such as satwater or off topic sections.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#10 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,301 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:19 PM

and i never said that YOU never said you could minimize each individual category

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,761 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:39 PM

rolleyes.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Reply to this topic