Fly Tying
Patriot

BWO from San Juan River in New Mexico

While on my latest trip to my favorite trout river, these blue-winged olives hatched. They were everywhere. Too bad I did not have an actual camera to capture these incredible insects instead of my iPhone. These images are better than nothing, I suppose.

These mayflies are probably no longer than 3/8" in length plus their very long tail fibers.

post-61757-0-08013100-1580182673_thumb.jpg

post-61757-0-42679900-1580182684_thumb.jpg

Baetis hatches are one of the things that make winter fishing great. I hope some fish were feeding on top and you were able to hook a few with dries.

Those are still very cool photos with your Iphone. Did you catch any on top?

I did but not with a BWO fly. Midges were hatching at the same time and that is what I was using and those worked very well. I did try one of my BWO imitations, but could not see it. I am heading back up there in a few days and will try some parachute-BWO's. Will report from there, time permitting.

Baetis hatches are one of the things that make winter fishing great. I hope some fish were feeding on top and you were able to hook a few with dries.

I did indeed tie into several on the surface, but I was using my Lolita fly. This fly has always worked for me on top and below the surface. It is not my creation, but was taken from a written description found in Steven Meyers' San Juan River Chronicle book (p95).

Thanks!

post-61757-0-46540500-1580251844_thumb.jpg

Those photos look good !! Were the fish rising to them? As feathers asked ... catch any???

If you recall from an earlier post, I noted that on this trip I netted my personal best ever trout. I have a plan to take photo when I return in a few days. I will keep you posted from the river, time permitting.

Thanks!

Wait, you took pictures of the bugs but not your personal best fish? I would risk dropping my phone in the water to get pictures of my personal bests (all of them). "Hell, I seen me do it."

Those are neat bugs, we don't have them up here, but we do have some kind of may flies.

Wait, you took pictures of the bugs but not your personal best fish? I would risk dropping my phone in the water to get pictures of my personal bests (all of them). "Hell, I seen me do it."

Those are neat bugs, we don't have them up here, but we do have some kind of may flies.

Yep, I know. No photo of the beautiful hen rainbow. But, I have redesigned my vest so I can take some photos. I'm headed back up there on Sunday/Monday. I may stay home and watch the Super Bowl, or ... I may leave early and not worry about it. We Patriot fans don't have a horse in the race, so why watch right? Kidding, I'm just kidding. Haha!

I have some new flies just in case the BWO's show up again and they probably will. Will report from the river or when I get home.

Thanks for dropping by.

Nice looking emerger pattern.

Thanks! I have to tie a few more before I head back to the river.

Yep, I know. No photo of the beautiful hen rainbow. But, I have redesigned my vest so I can take some photos. I'm headed back up there on Sunday/Monday. I may stay home and watch the Super Bowl, or ... I may leave early and not worry about it. We Patriot fans don't have a horse in the race, so why watch right? Kidding, I'm just kidding. Haha!

I have some new flies just in case the BWO's show up again and they probably will. Will report from the river or when I get home.

Thanks for dropping by.

I will be looking forward to your report. I love a good story and good pictures of bugs, fish, everything. Best of luck. (I did go fishing (ice fishing) on Sunday, I didn't have a dog in the fight either. One of my best days ice fishing ever. I caught about 70 fish, four of them over 20 inches)