Fly Tying
TIER

How do I not accidently get hooks all over?

When I am fly tying a hook always falls off my desk and vise, and into a place I can't find it. Then it gets stuck on my sock, and then it gets tracked all through the house.

Seems like your sock is a hook magnet. Simply drag it on the floor of your tying area after each tying session

Or use a magnet glued to your tying table and put your hooks on it

NfAo2N4.jpg

You can buy small magnets at any hobby store, most fabric stores and some hardware stores. With a little superglue, you can attach them anywhere. Look around your tying desk/area, any place you can place one will give you another place to stick hooks, bodkins, razor blades and other small items.

I've got several attached to the arm of my tying light that are strong enough to hold scissors, and that's where I hang them.

One answer is: Organization.

There's no reason to have hooks out that CAN fall on the floor. Leave them in their containers until you're ready to put one in the vise. Be sure to place items that can be knocked off the table top as far from the edge as possible. Keep your work space neat and clean. Start now, while you're a child, then you'll keep those good habits as you grow up.

One answer is: Organization.

There's no reason to have hooks out that CAN fall on the floor. Leave them in their containers until you're ready to put one in the vise. Be sure to place items that can be knocked off the table top as far from the edge as possible. Keep your work space neat and clean. Start now, while you're a child, then you'll keep those good habits as you grow up.

Speaking as someone who has been habitually disorganized since childhood, and who has, these last few years, been trying HARD to ingrain in myself the habits of organization--this is EXCELLENT advice. Listen to Mike and start now. You will be happy you did.

Also, the magnets really do work great. In addition to having some glued to your bench, you might pick up one of the ones on a telescoping wand from the dollar store. They can find hooks your eyes can't see.

OH -- and if you de-barb each hook before you put it in the vise, even if it falls on the floor, it won't get stuck in the carpet. smile.png

Maybe impale them in your feet directly from the bag? You'd lose fewer that way.

laugh.png Yeah ... yeah, do this !!!

If your scissors are not magnetic, tap them on a magnet a few times. Once they are magnetized, you can pick up individual hooks and there is less chance of losing track of them. I have a 2x2" sheet magnet on my pedestal base and I put 3-6 hooks on that while I'm tying a few of each pattern. Keeps them from wandering around. Like the others have said, organization is something to learn NOW. And also, think about what you're doing. A hook in your sock may sound kinda cute but what happens when a dog or a kid crawls around where you are dragging those hooks.

This might sound stupid, but if your tying area is located on a carped floor, you could get a office chair floor mat and put it under you. At least any dropped hooks would land on it and not get lost in the carpet. If carpet is a factor here.

post-19822-0-01365900-1563546190_thumb.jpg

This might sound stupid, but if your tying area is located on a carped floor, you could get a office chair floor mat and put it under you. At least any dropped hooks would land on it and not get lost in the carpet. If carpet is a factor here.

That works great for hooks. Beads not so much as they bounce right off the protector into the carpet. Guess how I know.