Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Morehead City / Beaufort / Atlantic Beach NC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 petegray

petegray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

anyone here frequent these areas...?

re: surf fly fishing the beaches

I'm still dealing with the Bear's Den in Taunton MA...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... but... 

Any noteworthy NC saltwater fly shops...?

slightly handicapped moderately decorated aviator veteran with issues...

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,392 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

I used to ... about 30 years ago, when I was in the military.  But I never fly fished there.  Almost always too many people around for back casting.  And, unlike most reports I've seen on this site, I never caught a fish within 20 yards of shoreline.  You had to have a surf fishing rod that could wing a wad of bait or a lure 100 yards out.  

Good luck !!!

If you don't mind bait fishing ... go to the inlets and small tidal flow bridges.  Plenty of Cobia, Sheepshead and Flounder up in those places.  I never thought of fly fishing those places, due to the proximity of overhead wires and other backcast preventing structures. 

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:46 AM

I've been there a couple times with to see family. I would recommend for the surf throwing a closer, letting it sink, and stripping it back. You'll likely pick off whiting,pompano, maybe redfish, stuff like that. If you wanted to book a guide, fishing those grassy areas off the ICW looks promising...

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#4 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

anyone here frequent these areas...?
re: surf fly fishing the beaches

I'm still dealing with the Bear's Den in Taunton MA...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it... but... 
Any noteworthy NC saltwater fly shops...?

Fished the area a lot!Blue fish,spot, pompano and drum are pretty regular catches in that stretch.I always had good luck in the inter coastal water way as well!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#5 petegray

petegray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

Thank's for the kind replies...!

sort'a reinforced what I had suspected...

I'm going to keep the Bear's Den as my go-to source for everything fly related...

and I'm going to look into the Beaufort ferry services to Shackleford Banks for "day trips" when the SW wind isn't a show stopper...

Attached File  fullsizeoutput_dd7.jpeg   173.61KB   1 downloads

slightly handicapped moderately decorated aviator veteran with issues...