Fly Tying
islander727

Snook Flies Swap

Swap is closed. Each of us will tie eight flies. If you haven't received my address, PM me. Thanks, guys.

Due date July 31.

1. islander 727 -received

2. FlatsRoamer -received

3. add147

4. agn54 -received

5. fshng2 -received

6. caloosa bug -received

7. Old Hat -received

8. vicente -received

9. vicrider -received

I have no idea what a snook even is but I will give this swap a try! I will have to Google it to see what I have gotten myself into...LOL...Count me in!

Flats will probably tie a bunch of schminnows. I've only caught two snook on flies so I will pass this time after tying a bunch of crabs that were definitely laborious.

I'll jump in on this one. I had to miss the crab swap so don't want to miss this too.

Add147, to be honest, any generic baitfish will do. In fact, pretty much any bass pattern will work well since they hit the same artificials and in the same colors (firetiger works especially well). I used to know a guy that regularly caught snook on plastic worms.

Since pretty much any baifish pattern can be a snook fly, I think I'll do one specifically designed for them and do a small white baitfish designed for the beaches and dock lights. maybe a DT special if I have the hackle or something similar.

I have no idea what a snook even is but I will give this swap a try! I will have to Google it to see what I have gotten myself into...LOL...Count me in!

I have no idea either ha ha!

Count me in.

For those who don't know what a snook is. Awesome fish! Like a very smart bass on steroids.

post-44758-0-00040100-1496855550_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-04440900-1496855585_thumb.jpg

Waiting and watching, before I commit.

I would have loved to had a fly rod in hand the day I took the second picture. Homosassa springs state park would have frowned upon the notion though.

post-59266-0-05349400-1496861054_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-62861800-1496861105_thumb.jpg

They look like a cross between a carp and a bass...LOL...How do they taste?

According to my wife, better than any other fish in south Florida. Grouper and snapper included.

Thanks for the Snook info & pics Vicrider, Saltybum, & Caloosa bug.

Very beautiful fish!

Alright, I'm in. Quick question about hooks. I have a bunch of Gamagatsu #2 octopus hooks, and #1 & 1/0 Owner ssw..are these acceptable for the salt? Would something else be better with the same style?

Owner description of ssw: trolling or mooching for salmon in salt water. Also excellent for baiting walleye, bass, tarpon and other inshore species.

Both will work.