Fly Tying
Saltybum

Good Bye EP etc.

The last fly fishing show if you want to call it that at Renzetti's plant I met an older guy that was tying a real nice mullet fly.

He gave it to me and explained it was done with wig hair which he also said was very cheap. He added a little of flash to it as well.

So last week I took a trip to a local beauty supply store and got me some. I got all this stuff for what I could buy three or four small packs of EP for. The one photo shows a couple packs of EP for size comparison.

If you like to fish big bait fish flies you know how much material you can use up fast.

AND I took my dog to the lagoon near the space center this morning for a swim and water test this stuff. Third cast I got a nice 15-16" seatrout after missing a couple hits right off with the white and grey one. Red and black didn't get hit. Wrong water I think. No flash added either, All wig. I'm sold on this stuff now.

Good Bye EP and Farrar!

post-44758-0-03099500-1478188913_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-48931600-1478188942_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-53989800-1478188980_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-93979700-1478189063_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-93184200-1478189084_thumb.jpg

Good looking stuff. I've got some hair extensions I've been using that I found at Wal-Mart, but it is much finer and almost silky. That stuff looks great.. thanks for the tip.

I get so upset when I see the greed some people have demonstrated by packaging small amounts of material (especially synthetics) and selling it off at huge profit margins just because these items are being marketed to fly tyers. I refuse to give any money to John Betts or Blue Ribbon flies for Z-lon. I don't care what the pattern is, there is always an acceptable and less expensive substitute. Thanks for sharing another great tip to maneuver around money hungry dirtbags trying to get rich off of our hobby!

AAAHAAAAAA !!!

Payback for the "hackle-as-hair-decorations" craze!!!

Lets all go buy wigs and extensions until the prices become extortionate !!!

laugh.png

Flats, it moves just like the other stuff. That trout must have thought it moved like food. To bad I forgot my camera for a shot of it. Had several hits but these were tied on 2/0 hooks and when I switched to a 4 I caught a couple dinks too. But I tied the mullet for sight fishing big gators on the flats.

Caloosa...the white I got is also pretty silky but has a nice sheen to it but not quite as much texture as the other colors and boy did that shop have some colors too, HOT pink, $1.99.

Makes great looking flies Salty.Thanks for sharing.

AAAHAAAAAA !!!

Payback for the "hackle-as-hair-decorations" craze!!!

Lets all go buy wigs and extensions until the prices become extortionate !!!

laugh.png

You won't have to Mike.As soon as they see we are using it for fly tying...the price will triple fast.Just as the hackle did.Better buy it qiuck.

Flats just go to a beauty supply store. I'm sure Miami has a bunch. Plus they may have sales of some wild stuff ( after Halloween ) and you can check out the texture etc. by hand. The girl at the store went to opened packages and pulled it out so I could really examine it. Can't do that on line.

Its great stuff. I have been using it for a few years now. I mix mine with angle hair. I have gotten some at Sally's but they don't have all the colors I need so I get mine from eBay. That stuff would be a good swap theme to do.

Kevin

post-3866-0-73019200-1478216725_thumb.jpg

post-3866-0-59949500-1478216973_thumb.jpg

post-3866-0-16542900-1478216987_thumb.jpg

post-3866-0-48874200-1478217027_thumb.jpg

Yes, it is great stuff. And, EP fibers leave much to be desired. They have to be combed-out frequently. So much better stuff available. Enrico does a great job of marketing. Always think before buying. And think about alternatives.