Fly Tying
Patriot

Looking for TMC206BL hooks in sizes #22 and #24

I've spent a lot of time trying to find these hooks. Tiemco has them on their website as seen here. However, I just had a chat with a vendor rep in Denver who claims that they are no longer being made. I did find these small hooks on European fly fishing websites, but none - that I could find - here in the US. I can find these all day long in size #20, but nothing smaller. I may have to purchase them off shore if I can't find them here. Too bad Tiemco does not have a list of vendor's who carry their flies. Umpqua seems to be the main (only?) source for TMC hooks from what I have learned.

I want these particular hooks because of their wide gap and the smaller sizes would be idea for the midges that the 'bows in the San Juan feast on year 'round. I have been using TMC100 hooks in the smaller sizes, but these are very 'fine' hooks and lack the wide gap of the 206BL versions.

If anyone knows where I can purchase these hooks I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks!

Perhaps you should change hooks then? Any number of comparable hooks in those sizes, especially down-eyed light wire scud hooks from Tiemco, Daiichi, Dai-Riki, as well as the endless small time hook suppliers out there. If the hooks is discontinued, and you could contact Umpqua to find out, there are plenty of alternatives available.

Tiemco 2487 #22, #24 (Amazon & J. Stockhard)

Down eye, 2X short shank, 1X fine wire, 2X wide gape, bronze; Uses: caddis pupae, midge emerger, shrimp.

Tiemco 2488 #22, #24 (Amazon & J. Stockhard)

Mustad 80100BR #22, #24

Daiichi 1140 #22

Orvis JA1639 #22

Varivas 2300 Ultra Midge Fly Tying Hook

#22, #24 (Amazon)

Super fine small hooks ideal for tying the smallest of dry flies without compromising strength or setting properties.

4x Fine Micro-Barb

Half Long

Tapered Point

Matte Bronze Finish

Down eye, 2X short shank, 1X fine wire, 2X wide gape, bronze; Uses: caddis pupae, midge emerger, shrimp.

Mustad 80100BR #22, #24

Daiichi 1140 #22

Orvis JA1639 #22

Thanks for all the info.

I found a source for TMC2488 in sizes #22, #24 and #26. They have been ordered.

For anyone who needs this small of a hook here is the link. There may be others, but this worked for me.

Cheers!

Mustad 80100BR #22, #24

Daiichi 1140 #22

Orvis JA1639 #22

Thanks for all the info.

I found a source for TMC2488 in sizes #22, #24 and #26. They have been ordered.

For anyone who needs this small of a hook here is the link. There may be others, but this worked for me.

Cheers!

post-37956-0-51340800-1506346712_thumb.jpgpost-37956-0-55208200-1506346734_thumb.jpg Tied on aTiemco Model #100 # 26

Very nice Retro. Better you than me though ! I'd be on the stream all day trying to tie one of those on.

Well crap. The TMC 206BL is my favorite trout hook, I especially like it for smaller patterns. I was hoping to find some in sizes smaller than the #20's I currently have so I can tie some smaller midges for the San Juan this winter. Those 2488's look nice, I just wish they came barbless, but I guess in a size 26 a barb is pretty small. I like the straight eye, though, down eyes in hooks that small are something I just can't see myself using.

Well crap. The TMC 206BL is my favorite trout hook, I especially like it for smaller patterns. I was hoping to find some in sizes smaller than the #20's I currently have so I can tie some smaller midges for the San Juan this winter. Those 2488's look nice, I just wish they came barbless, but I guess in a size 26 a barb is pretty small. I like the straight eye, though, down eyes in hooks that small are something I just can't see myself using.

Grab yourself a few boxes of the TMC2488 in small sizes. You'll be glad you did because they are, IMO, perfect for tying SJ midges especailly, if you tie them in reverse.

I've tried a few reversed midge and mayfly emergers in the past with very poor results, although I'll admit to probably not giving them much time in the water when fish were actually eating emergers because my normal flies were getting eaten. Maybe it's time to revisit that tying style for those picky SJ fish. Thanks.

I've tried a few reversed midge and mayfly emergers in the past with very poor results, although I'll admit to probably not giving them much time in the water when fish were actually eating emergers because my normal flies were getting eaten. Maybe it's time to revisit that tying style for those picky SJ fish. Thanks.

Take a look at these reversed/upside-down tied flies. I think they're amazing. Can't wait to get back to the bench.

Some of those flies are pretty interesting, although I'd think the wing on some of those flies would get in the way and drop hooking percentage. I had that happen with upside down green drakes I tied. The fish absolutely loved them and confidently rose to them while rejecting standard patterns, but I could only hook a very few of the many fish I rose. I eventually gave up on the idea of upside down dries. I did carry reverse emergers in my box for years, but like I said, I seldom used them. Mine looked very similar to this fly. When I get some smaller emerger hooks I'll have to tie a few more up and give them a try this winter.

post-61269-0-35885800-1506489212_thumb.jpeg