Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Sebastion inlet, Florda

I have been surfing on YouTube and there is this place called Sebastian inlet. The goliath fishing thee is epic, there are sharks, and so many other fish. I want to know everything about the fish, the baits, flies and lures used, what weight of line, the techniques use. If you know anything about these fish please tell me.

Look it up on a map. Sebastian Inlet is just one of many connections between the Indian River and the Atlantic Ocean. I don't do salt water fishing, but the Indian River is famous for it's fishing. The Inlets are current points, and usually produce when the tide's moving.

People from around Sebastian Inlet usually ask about the fishing in a place called "Alaska".

Yes, its a great place to fish. Just come on down, and figure it out. Tarpon, Snook, Redfish, Jacks, dozens of other fish, you can catch either inside the inlet, or off the beach. The Sepastian river itself is also a brackish water fishery, full of the same species.

Here's a site that has a fair amount of current info about that area from Florida Sportsman... Sebastian is just one of the inlets covered under the central Florida East coast region... You may not find a lot about fly fishing but the folks that fish that area are very active.... and it's well within an hour or two's drive from Orlando...

https://forums.floridasportsman.com/categories/east-central-general-fishing-the-outdoors

I used to tie orders for the old Fly Fisherman shop in Titusville - but that was years ago, don't even know if they're still in business. I have heard that all of the nearby Indian River fishery is in bad shape - but that's entirely separate from ocean inlet fishing...

Hope this helps. I've never fished that inlet but have heard good things about it for some years....

Bob, I have been fishing out of Titusville for the last 7 years, and I have never seen or heard of the Fly Fisherman Shop. On Google, the address now lists a Real Estate Business.

Capt. Bob

Frank and Liz Steele closed there other store in Orlando some time back and moving on, Where? I do not know.

Wademan

Thanks partner, I tied for them in the mid eighties - so it was a long time ago.... Wish I had a nickel for every shop I've filled orders for... that's no longer around. I probably filled a lot more orders for guides and individual anglers than shops over the years before I just got burnt out on it...

Here's a partial listing from memory...

Shorelines South (Orvis shop Ft. Lauderdale)

World Class Outfitters (Islamorada then Tampa)

The Fly fisherman (Titusville)

American Angling Supplies (Boston)

The Avid Angler (Oregon)

The Fly Shop of Ft. Lauderdale

This is just a partial list and were only fly shops, and yes, there are a few outfits I've worked for that are still up and going strong... I've watched almost twice as many general tackle shops disappear in that same thirty to forty years, locally....

Many years ago Chico Fernandez was kind enough to sit me down with paper and pencil and go over the financials of owning a small shop... To sum it all up "You could make a small fortune in the tackle business... first you'll need a large fortune"... I'll be forever grateful to him since that info was a major factor in my decision to take up guiding almost 24 years ago... After going over all the money side of things he also pointed out that if I owned a shop I'd have to give up fishing almost entirely and strictly take care of business.... Even then, whatever investment you put up would always be at risk from day one until you got out from under...

Tough business...