Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Clinch River Questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:25 AM

Any of you "Southern Boys" familiar with the tailwater below Norris?

Is it wadeable? How's the generation in late Spring/early Summer? Access?

Just planning another trip... wink.gif
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#2 Sippy

Sippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (Shoe @ Jan 19 2005, 10:25 AM)

Just planning another trip...  wink.gif

user posted image
You can spend a fortune on premium feathers and it doesn't mean you'll tie a perfect fly. It just means you have the materials from a good looking chicken.

#3 Chromium

Chromium

Party Coordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:34 AM

Hey, I recognize that chicken foot bastard. LMAO bugeyes.gif

#4 Chromium

Chromium

Party Coordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:58 AM

user posted image

#5 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:19 PM

.... again..... laugh.gif wink.gif
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#6 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:35 PM

Let me suggest three ways to get info on the Clinch:
1. Contact professional guide Michael Cox at www.tnrockyraccoon.com
2. Post these questions on the message board at www.hiwassee.net
3. Contact the fly shop, The Creel, in Knoxville, TN

This should get you connected to the information you need for a trip. Hope this helps.
Caution: It is a very fertile river, has great fishing, addictive.

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#7 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:18 AM

Hey shoe, I am assuming you are palnning to bring your drift boat? The clinch is wadeable at 0 generators, floatable and worth fishing with 1 generator but 2 is out of the question. The good news is there are 14 miles of good trout water and it takes about 4 hrs for the river to come up to the lower "jail" hole near hwy 61 bridge. For more specific info call CR Outfitters and talk to Cal Ralston #865-494-2305. TVA updates their river flows regularly, so check their site.

http://www.tva.gov/river/lakeinfo/

Hope this helps. Hope you can come down biggrin.gif I live just 45 min. from the Clinch. A lot of other good fishing nearby too and accomodations should be very reasonable.

A.A. cool.gif
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.

#8 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:44 PM

Nope don't know about the tailwaters but can show where the clinch starts it begins about 30 mins from the house. i smallie fish the clinch probably 100 trips or better a year being that is is 2 miles from the house. I fish it from Tazewell VA. to the Russell county area of VA. Great river for smallies up my way if you can get of the beaten path and on private land. However there are no trout up here, except a occasional on that finds its way in. There is a endangered mussell in the river that trout are supposed to kill so it is a big fine to stock them. Especially since the state spent a few mill $ to study and restock the mussells. Lets see trout or mussells wiegh that on for me! I hope to make it down below Norris someday for the trout, I guess to see where my neighborhood river ends up. At mom and dads house where i grew up the river flowed right trough my back yard so I was a born fisherman on the clinch. Well gotta go.

FM
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#9 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:06 AM

Great info and links!

Did a little research and found that during the Summer months they have a delayed generation on the weekends. (10am) Probably do to some type of recreational pact dunno.gif
I've also noticed that running 2 generators will draw Norris down quite rapidly. Is it the norm to expect the 0-1-2 wheel generation on a daily basis during the week? I tried to find some historical generation data (based on previous years), but couldn't find any. Might take a look on the USGS site dunno.gif

#10 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:32 PM

I have observed that very pattern during the weekdays. As the afternoon heats up, so does the load demand. By one pm they are usually up to two generators. To make a full day, fish the Clinch from 6 am till noon, get in your vehicle, get some drive thru lunch and drive to the mountains (1-2 hrs) and fish the afternoon bite from 2 pm till dark. Midges in the morning (Clinch) and yellow sallies and ants in the afternoon/evening (mountains streams). If ya want to fish dry, bring an 8-9ft 3wt 'cause you probably won't throw anything bigger than 14, but have a disc drag case ya get into a big fat brown! Bring a 8.5-9ft 5wt if ya want to throw streamers cause you probably will get into that big fat brown! In the mountains I find an 8ft 4wt to be the perfect weapon. Let me know when you decide to come and I will work my schedule to where I can get at least 1 day in with ya if ya like.

A.A.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.

#11 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:26 AM

Will do, AA

At least the Clinch sounds fishable in the morning hours. That's cool with me. I went as far as sending TVA an email about the historical data and haven't heard back yet.
When possible, I like to fish my 2wt. 1oz. wink.gif Even a guppy will put a bend into that rod. So many rivers, so little time...

I'll give you a bump closer to the dates.

Thanks again

#12 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:08 PM

Just received a reply from TVA wink.gif Got an entire Excel Sheet...lol

Pretty predictable, in my opinion.

0 'til 10am
1 'til 2pm
2 'til 6pm
and back down to 0 after that.

This was based on historical data from last year (July)