Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hybrid Striped Bass In Indiana

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HATCHBOMB

HATCHBOMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:21 AM

Anyone try fishing for hybrids with fly? I'm heading down to a friends place in a few weeks to try to get some hybrids in a reservoir that bust baitfish on the surface...

#2 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:35 PM

Are you referring to "wipers", white bass/striped bass hybrid? I fish for those in Ohio at a nearby lake.........their main forage in that lake is shad, I use cork/styrofoam sliders(just bullet nosed poppers) in white bucktail w/silver flashabou.........after dark, I use all black w/some silver flashabou...just listen for the shad braking the surface .........I have caught a lot of wipers that were literally spitting up crayfish as I reeled them in.......for what thats worth.......

Mike

#3 HATCHBOMB

HATCHBOMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, the hybrid cross of white bass and striped bass. My friend is a fisheries biologist and is taking me to a reservoir that has fish that average around 10 pounds. I was thinking of experimenting with some shad type crease flies...

#4 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:58 PM

I am very interested in how you do. That sounds like a trip I would love to make. It's one fish I'm jealous Michigan does not have. It would be fun to have them in a few of out resivoir lakes.
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

Trophy Flies for Trophy Fish @ GreatLakesFly.com

SMALLIE-FEST 2010-May 21/22/23 2010-Huron County Michigan-BE THERE

"A little luck never hurt any fisherman..." ~Sig Hanson