Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Redfish Cracklin

The Redfish Crack is a very effective pattern for many species like speckled trout, redfish, and flounder in the gulf of Mexico. However a variation called the "cracklin" has come out that I feel is much better. this utilizes small legs to help give this fly a little more movement and fish enticement. I really like this fly, and in fact my last trip to the gulf this pattern caught fish when many others in my box did not. You can tie this with lighter eyes for a slower sink, or on larger hooks. However I really like this size hook, and love the Risen hooks due to their low cost and strength. You would have difficulty bending these hooks on big bull reds.

As always I am including all the materials used today
Brush------
Wire: Gold Medium sized Ultrawire
Flash: Shrimp/Pink Ice Dub
Leggy Dubbing: Crawfish Gold and Brown Leech Kraken Dubbing
Fly------
Hook: size 2, Risen O'Shaughnessy hook
Thread: Brown Veevus 140 Powerthread
Tail: Tan Ultra-select Craft Fur
Legs: Sill-Legs Black barred orange
Flash/Antenna: Gold Crystal Flash
Eyes: Medium Lead Dumbell Eyes
UV Resin: Solarez Ultrathin Resin
Glue: Brush On Super Glue

McFly, another nice video! I like how you left the barring mistake in and just worked around it. I forget lots and figure out workarounds after the fact myself. I think you can get rid of the part where you say you have never been a guide. I'm not sure why that's even in there. All in all great video and I noticed you purchased a brush maker.

You've done lots of videos of your fresh water fishing. Any videos of the salt water trips?

Well I used to live in Colorado (no where near the salt). Recently moved to Texas, but still about 3 hours away from the salt water. I finally was able to make it last weekend down to the salt but only got one fish. Ill try to make a video for it, but the problem is down there the fishing is much better at night and therefor not great for filming. Ive done 4 videos in the salt in the past, this will be my 5th. It wont be too good, since I didnt catch much. My saltwater fishing on video for some reason is like merphys law. As soon as the camera does, I start catching! Haha! Fish seem to know when Im filming and dont bite. Lol!

McFly, another nice video! I like how you left the barring mistake in and just worked around it. I forget lots and figure out workarounds after the fact myself. I think you can get rid of the part where you say you have never been a guide. I'm not sure why that's even in there. All in all great video and I noticed you purchased a brush maker.

Thanks! Yeah I figured Id leave in the mistakes, so people can learn from mine. As for not being a guide part. I want people to know Im not a professional, just a guy that likes to fish/tie. I figure it helps people know they can learn as well? But hey maybe its not needed. I can look at doing a new intro.

Nice video & post! I've tied the Redfish Crack patterns, but do like this one too. I also like the hooks from Risen. smile.png

Thanks! Yeah its pretty much just a leggy crack... so you use the Risen hooks? I really like their barbless nymph and dry fly hooks. They also make a great jig nymph hook as well. All are super sharp! Black nickel for their barbless verities, and just great all around hooks for the cost. Like $3-3.50/25. Cant beat that! Especially for barbless! Their saltwater hooks are more pricy but not too bad as most saltwater hooks. Im quite happy with their stuff. Even their rods and reels. Their gideon reel is super nice! One of the best Ive ever fished with and for only $180 ($155 after the discount for my subscribers). Just cant beat that price for that quality of reel anywhere.

I've only used their saltwater hooks and have waited until they have a sale on them to buy them and stock up.

I like the O'Shaughnessy saltwater hooks for Clouser Minnows and the shorter shank hooks for crabs & some shrimp patterns. They're still not as costly as some other hooks I use, and I feel they're sized better. I've been using mostly 1's, 2's & 4's.

I will check out the jig hooks, as I'm beginning to tie more on those types of hooks, so thanks for the tip! smile.png

I've only used their saltwater hooks and have waited until they have a sale on them to buy them and stock up.

I like the O'Shaughnessy saltwater hooks for Clouser Minnows and the shorter shank hooks for crabs & some shrimp patterns. They're still not as costly as some other hooks I use, and I feel they're sized better. I've been using mostly 1's, 2's & 4's.

I will check out the jig hooks, as I'm beginning to tie more on those types of hooks, so thanks for the tip! smile.png

Yeah man no worries. Glad to help. And for the cost, yes they still arent as badly priced as most saltwater brands for sure. Just a little more than their freshwater hooks. And if you dont want to wait for their sales, use the discount code I mentioned in the video. It will get you 15% off every time you order.