Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Sonic weld waders

Has anyone used and abused a brand of these sonic weld waders? Looking at the orvis guide silver sonic. Partly because of the orvis guarantee and partly because of their wading boots I have that are holding strong after 10yrs.

Prices here in UK mean Simms are off my radar as are the top Patagonia ones but I am still open to the traditional stitched brands.

Has anyone used the Patagonia skeena river ones??

I've got a pair of the Orvis Silver Sonic Guide waders (sonic welded seams) and I am real pleased with them. Have put them through alot of use, with some abuse, and have not had any problems yet. I have read on different forums about some having problems, but have not had any. A little pricey but good value for the money.

I rarely even look at Orvis products so I have not tried their waders. Catalogues do not work for me as I need to try on the waders.

The few models of Orvis rods and reels I have seem to go out of stock and be replaced by newer, better, got-to have upgraded, and thus pricier items almost annually. Getting spare spools or parts thus is often very hard after the initial purchase. Besides most Orvis outlets near me are mainly dedicated to clothing sales with fly tying gear stashed as an after-thought into a corner in the back.

Every so often they stage a warehouse sale in a rented store front where returned rods and reels, old models, and other dated stuff are steeply discounted. I have made crazy good buys there in the past including an Odyssey + II reel marked $439 for $150! It neatly balances my Hardy bamboo rod now and the drag is smoother than silk.

Rocco

I believe the silver sonic Orvis waders are the ones my fishing buddy Mark wears. He's had them for 2-3 yrs now and loves them, no issues at all with them. I usually don't go for Orvis brand waders myself but I just won that $100 gift cert to Gates whom is an Orvis dealer so I was just looking at their waders last night online and think I will probably get the silver sonic ones myself in the spring.

I have them and have used and lightly abused them for over 3 years now and have no complaints except that I lost the little "trout" zipper pull off the front pocket.

They sound good. I've gone completely off piste and brought a pair of vision ikon. Couldn't find a lot of negatives on them and they ticked the boxes for fit. Hopefully they see the same abuse my old pair managed.

I've had them for a couple of years but you know how little I fish. Maybe had them wet a dozen times but really happy and like how easy they fold into wading pants. Haven't fallen in yet to check the insides but the outsides seem totally waterproof and don't sweat in them like my old neoprene waders. I do have the problem though I've always had with wading in just about waste deep and having to get back out so I don't check the inside waterproofing. :-(

I purchased a pair of Redington Sonic Pro waders last May. After about 21 days of float tubing in them I can't think of enough nice things to say. I could not be more pleased with the product, especially when compared to my previous "Guidewear" atrocities from one of the big American sporting goods houses.

Colin, I'm glad you bought the waders you did. I haven't tried the sonic weld waders from Orvis, For all I know they could be the best waders in the world, even so the draw back would be having to deal with Orvis UK. From what I hear Orvis in the US are great; it isn't so with the UK franchise. The last pair of waders I had from then leaked badly within a few weeks. I returned then in early September. In January I got the message that they would replace them but it would be March of the next year. Almost 19 months to replace a pair of waders. Caveat Emptor!

Cheers,

C.

Wow, I was almost sold on the perceived orvis guarantee but went with the lack of negatives I could find on the vision pair which have stayed same since 2013. Seems that vision found a decent product and have stuck with it.