Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

Getting caught with "protected species" feathers or furs ...

Just in case some of you doubt that you'll get caught with those feathers you picked up ...
It's not the actual authorities that are monitoring all these sites, it's the "concerned citizen" and crime lines. Post a picture, take a BIG risk that someone will report it.
From a Texas site I visit ... blotter reports from the game wardens.
Swooping in for the Bust
An Operation Game Thief call in Harris County alerted game wardens of an individual selling a falcon on Craigslist. After several phone conversations, a warden arranged a meeting and purchased the Cooper’s hawk for $200 as another game warden swooped in for the bust. Charges have been filed for the illegal possession and sale of the hawk and a separate investigation of the suspect’s quail raising operation is still underway.
Scavenging Roadkill
A Cameron County game warden was called to the scene of an accident where a vehicle had struck a white-tailed deer and the deer needed to be dispatched. By the time the warden arrived on the scene, the deer was gone and the person who struck the deer advised that someone in a white truck who lived down the street had taken the animal. The warden made contact with the person who had taken the deer from the scene and was informed that the meat and the antlers were at a house in a neighboring town. The warden found two deer legs and a set of 8-point antlers at that location and another leg was seized from the man who had taken the deer. That individual was issued a citation for illegal take and possession of white-tailed deer.
Just some "food for thought" about taking, using and displaying materials that are protected, or even out of season.

I think selling hawks and carting away deer are huge jumps from a feather but I understand your point. Personally I don't touch or use road kill for anything and I'm not out there slaying my materials.

I've come across what was left of a Swan kill, probably by a fox? Just think there are much bigger problems in this world! If it was fresh? Sure, i would have taken most of the feathers & hide them from the misses! Not cos' shes a animal lover, but birds are birds & she runs a super clean house! Often asks are you sure all your fluff is clean? No bugs? Don't want any raw stuff from your hunting friend here! Got a few secrets, but want her happy!

We had a warden up here arrest and charge a guy that bragged and posted pictures on facebook. Not about feathers but as Mike said post it on social media and somebody is watching.

Les

This topic just shows how different laws are in different countries, states, provinces, etc.

Here in Ontario we have very strict laws on Song Birds, certain protected waterfowl and the Raptor family, but collection of road kill is legal for most critters as long as the Ministry of Natural Resources has been notified. They have a web site where you can document what you picked up and how you came across it, be it road killed or hunter killed. Basically it keeps a fly tier from getting nailed if those PETA folks get nosey and call the cops on you.

I was doing a fly tying demo a few years back when I was confronted by a few of those idiots. Before I knew it, the cops came to see what I was up to, but soon realized they had wasted their time when I produced my legal documents from the Ministry files. They were not please with the Peta folks!

I now have a good collection of everything after years of picking up only prime furs (late winter/early spring road kills) with my most prized possession being a beautiful adult male Coyote hide that I won't cut up. I always take the correct precautions when handling any animal and know how to properly take care of them. I use some of the furs during my tying demos to give folks an opportunity to feel the beautiful furs that our wild animals have. Where else can a person run their fingers through a Coyote, Red Fox or Black Bear? Most are truly amazed at their beauty.

As for a road killed White Tail, you're in hot water by just taking it, but all you have to do is call the cops to notify them of the deer and they will usually give you permission to take it with you.............that's if you get it before the Coyotes do.

Roadkill legal here. Except birds of prey and song birds. I have always picked up some good finds. I hunt, but I only kill what I will eat. I don't care for squirrel so I never shoot them. I pick roadkill squirrels whenever I run low.

I do not think you could get crossways with the law her in Northern VA by removing a fresh deer carcass from a roadway because no one cares.

The beasties are so prevalent that the county park behind our house had 400 per each 10 acres and no edible vegetation under 4' high! Their 'predation' on nearby private landscaping was prodigious. And Insurance companies were taking a big hit each rut from car/deer meetings.

Fairfax county -- home of the most wedge assed liberals in the state --has allowed private bow hunters to hunt private land year round and had local SWAT teams out at night with night vision gear on public land to knock back the numbers.

The meat went to Hunters for the Hungry but god knows where the hides all ended.

Within 50 yards of my house is a tangle of down trees in the park where bachelor herds congregate in which any one of them would easily be a wall racker that would bump my smallish atypical 16 pointer of my wall.

wunbe.

Here in Vermont you have to get a permit from Fish and Wildlife and can only take them during their respective seasons

I do not think you could get crossways with the law her in Northern VA by removing a fresh deer carcass from a roadway because no one cares.

The beasties are so prevalent that the county park behind our house had 400 per each 10 acres and no edible vegetation under 4' high! Their 'predation' on nearby private landscaping was prodigious. And Insurance companies were taking a big hit each rut from car/deer meetings.

Fairfax county -- home of the most wedge assed liberals in the state --has allowed private bow hunters to hunt private land year round and had local SWAT teams out at night with night vision gear on public land to knock back the numbers.

The meat went to Hunters for the Hungry but god knows where the hides all ended.

Within 50 yards of my house is a tangle of down trees in the park where bachelor herds congregate in which any one of them would easily be a wall racker that would bump my smallish atypical 16 pointer of my wall.

wunbe.

I didn't know you were in VA. I think deer season in Fairfax runs into March. lol.