Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

entomology book

Hey guys, after joining this forum and seeing this section of it it has inspired me to start learning about insect entomology. Does anybody know of a good introductary book that has some stuff on bugs in NC. Thanks.

Hey guys, after joining this forum and seeing this section of it it has inspired me to start learning about insect entomology. Does anybody know of a good introductary book that has some stuff on bugs in NC. Thanks.

a good book is borer and delong's introduction to entomology. kind of pricey these days but an excellent book with keys to all families

You might try your university extension for local insects - they probably just focus mostly on insects of economic significance. Uh, sorry, I mean pests.

This is a good book for beginner:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Know-Insects-Pic.../ref=pd_sim_b_3

in that it introduces you to keys and many of the families. Take a look at the state entomology lab website - they may have a link to a local entomology club - Maine has one - I wouldn't be surprised in NC has one. They would be able to give you a wealth of info.

The Complete Guide to Eastern Hatches by Tom Fuller is a great book that covers all sorts of aquatic insects in a general overview, and then has specific sections for different Eastern regions, with lots of beautiful full color pictures. A great book, it even has fly patterns suggested for every insect. Also, its pretty new, so it has up to date taxonomy. Nice scientific, yet practical, view at aquatic insects, and unlike the following 2 has mayflies, stoneflies, caddis, and even some stuff on midges and dragon/damsel flies. This one has the best pictures.

Also, Matching the Hatch by Ernie Schweibert is great as well. Color drawings of all the mayflies, this work dosent deal with anything else, and is more fishing centric than a true entomology work, but is a wonderful little classic. Recommended! Deals with both eastern and western insects.

Hatches by Al Caucci and Bob Nastasi is amazing too! Its mayfly specific also, but is an excellent work that has been used as a textbook in college entomology classes. I picked up my copy for 10 dollars. This is THE book on Mayflies and covers all mayflies across the country. Good pictures, but not as good as the ones in Fuller.

Hatches II is similar to the above, but 10 or so years newer. I do not own it yet, but is my next book to get. The first 3 i recommended, I own, and I cannot say enough good things about them.

Hope this helps!

Oh wow... just noticed this thread has been necro'ed. Well, hopefully someone finds it useful.

I recommend Aquatic Entomology The Fishermen's and Ecologists' Illustrated Guide to Insects and Their Relatives, by W. Patrick McCafferty. It is also a bit pricey but the drawings and color plates are superb.