Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Polarized Eye Glasses - need help in buying a new pair

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:46 AM

I like suncloud they are made by Smith so good frames and lenses, but only 50$ msrp. I've had 3 or 4 pairs always manage to break them after a year or two, like run over them with a 6k pound truck, or something else stupid.

#17 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

guys, 

I'm looking to buy really good quality glasses not fancy and not cheap ones.  These days you will find a lot of polarized glasses,  even those 3-5dollars are good. But  this is not enough. I want to protect my eyes,  protection is  on the first place. Not only the polarized property.

When I say protection I'm thinking at:

*100% UV protection

*100% free of geometrical distortion

*high clarity lenses

*high contrast

*high polarized properies

The second set is the color filter. I need something to filter that metallic color (the water color   before sunset). Usually  that strange  color of water it is for 30min maximum one hour if is cloudy outside. I go for fishing mainly in Lapland ( Polar Circle )  and this moment is from 8pm till 2AM. If is cloudy can be even from 4PM...

So if you are not very careful and you are in the middle of the river you risk to brake your legs between big rocks. There are sharp and big rocks under water surface and you cannot see them Is very risky.

Just to have an idea about  how the water  have that color

midnight-fishing-in-Lapland-July.jpg

Mihai-with-a-trout-in-lapland.jpg

And when is sunny outside you can see how is the river bottom:

rocky-river-bank-in-Lapland.jpg

lapland-river-bank-with-big-and-dangerou

Of course that you will find a cheap eyeglasses with good polarized properties but will not protect your eyes by UV light ( which damage the most your retina )  A cheap eyeglasses pair will have geometrical distortions in lenses (  high technology  is needed to avoid that and  that costs ) Then clarity, contrast, coatings need to last without loosing the properties!. For example a cheap coating filter will loose properties in time,  Exactly like your tippet line exposed at light, weather and temperature variations...It will loose the properties.

Until now I search on Smith, Costa, Maui, Oakley, Ray Ban sites. Nothing clear about color filters, when you should choose a specific color and why..... Till now I'm not convinced by any brand what should I buy. A lot of commercial cr@#$ap :(

FFF CI

my Blog: www.flytying.ro

#18 Sandan

Sandan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

guys, 

I'm looking to buy really good quality glasses not fancy and not cheap ones.  These days you will find a lot of polarized glasses,  even those 3-5dollars are good. But  this is not enough. I want to protect my eyes,  protection is  on the first place. Not only the polarized property.

*100% UV protection

*high clarity lenses

*high contrast

The second set is the color filter. I need something to filter that metallic color (the water color   before sunset). Usually  that strange  color of water it is for 30min maximum one hour if is cloudy outside. I go for fishing mainly in Lapland ( Polar Circle )  and this moment is from 8pm till 2AM. If is cloudy can be even from 4PM...

So if you are not very careful and you are in the middle of the river you risk to brake your legs between big rocks. There are sharp and big rocks under water surface and you cannot see them Is very risky.

Of course that you will find a cheap eyeglasses with good polarized properties but will not protect your eyes by UV light ( which damage the most your retina )  A cheap eyeglasses pair will have geometrical distortions in lenses (  high technology  is needed t avoid that and  that costs ) Then clarity, contrast, coatings need to last without loosing the properties!. For example a cheap coating filter will loose properties in time,  Exactly like your tippet line exposed at light, weather and temperature variations...It will loose the properties.

Until now I search on Smith, Costa, Maui, Oakley, Ray Ban sites. Nothing clear about color filters, when you should choose a specific color and why..... Till now I'm not convinced by any brand what should I buy. A lot of commercial cr@#$ap sad.png

Lucien, please add the Rudy Projects to your search list. You won't be disappointed. 

http://www.e-rudy.co...technology#lens

#19 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,626 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:58 PM

Here, in Florida, we have water that's the color of a good cup of coffee.  Dark brown, but clear.  My yellow paddle is visible to about 2 feet in direct sunlight.

Because of the darkness, and the apparent lack of light penetration ... no amount of polarization is going to allow me to see any deeper than that.

Polarized glasses don't actually allow you to "see deeper" into the water.  They just cut the surface glare so you can see into the water, period.  Let's say you're standing where the background is dark and blocks all glare. The surface is calm.  The distance you can see into the water under these conditions without the glasses is the same distance you will be able to see WITH glasses.  In fact, under those conditions, the light cutting effect of the glasses will impair you're ability to see into the water, not enhance it.

Polarized glasses just help you to see that same distance when there's glare on the water.

Amber/brown/yellow lens bring out contrast ... and thus give you a better view through the glare, because it lets you see the light/dark boundaries ... not because it's letting you see farther into the water.

Yellow actually seems to enhance the light you receive, but still they don't "pierce" the water any more than any other color.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#20 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:57 PM

, a sound engineer needs good phones.

only if you have the biologic ability to use the technology to it's advantage.   But then, I guess, if you didn't have perfect hearing you wouldn't be a sound engineer.  

I love bikes.  I really do.   I am not a gifted athlete.   You could put my fat ass on a &15K custom tailored marvel of engineering genius, and I won't get up a mountain any faster than if I was on my $1200, 10 year old, very nice, meticulously maintained bike purchased off the shop floor.    Take someone like my wife, who IS a gifted cyclist, and she would absolutely be able to realize the advantages offered by all the aspects of the technology.   Her road bike cost her over $4K which to most people seems an insane amount of money for a bike.   To her, it is the level of performance which she can actually, in real world performance, appreciate and be happy with.   

$15 strike king glasses from Wally World are the equivalent of a $120 Huffy bike from Wally World... Maybe my $200 Oakleys are the equivalent of her $4K Cervelo... I have the visual acuity to be able to appreciate the technology. 

We can certainly agree to disagree, and I have no doubt in the world that I can be (and will be!)  outfished by someone wearing NO polarized glasses on a given day.   But at the end of the day, one thing I will NOT be complaining about is a headache or eye fatigue.  

the gales of November remembered...

#21 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:54 AM

guys, 

*100% UV protection

*high clarity lenses

*high contrast

midnight-fishing-in-Lapland-July.jpg

Mihai-with-a-trout-in-lapland.jpg

And when is sunny outside you can see how is the river bottom:

rocky-river-bank-in-Lapland.jpg

lapland-river-bank-with-big-and-dangerou

Of course that you will find a cheap eyeglasses with good polarized properties but will not protect your eyes by UV light ( which damage the most your retina )  A cheap eyeglasses pair will have geometrical distortions in lenses (  high technology  is needed to avoid that and  that costs ) Then clarity, contrast, coatings need to last without loosing the properties!. For example a cheap coating filter will loose properties in time,  Exactly like your tippet line exposed at light, weather and temperature variations...It will loose the properties.

Until now I search on Smith, Costa, Maui, Oakley, Ray Ban sites. Nothing clear about color filters, when you should choose a specific color and why..... Till now I'm not convinced by any brand what should I buy. A lot of commercial cr@#$ap sad.png

Those conditions look very very much like where I fish in Maine, I've paid $400 to have prescription lenses put in my glasses up until I needed progressives that would cost a fortune to have polarization and all the good stuff added. So I can't speak for the glasses themselves because I wear the ones I can pop over my prescription glasses now and I think they were $45 ( I believe they are Cocoons as someone else mentioned). But as to color in those conditions I tried amber and have been using that now for two decades. Amber to me has made the bottom just pop in the river, see details you didn't know were there and yet be usable elsewhere. If there are two options in amber I get the lighter one. I imagine something yellowish would be next but I haven't tried those because to me they give an unnatural effect everywhere else ( judged by trying the different colors on in stores and just looking around).

Smoky grey worked fairly well too but amber beats them.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#22 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

Lucian,

The most popular color of lenses by far is the amber or brown lens. The common rule is to choose the lens color that is the same as the background color of the stream or river bottom. This helps other colors more visible and this helps in locating the fish. Since most streams bottoms are a brownish tint, brown is the most popular shade of lens. 

Colors are refracted at slightly different angles depending on their wavelength. This is why a prism can separate visible light into the RGBIV color spectrum.

spectrum.png

So that means the our eyes are not able to focus the reflected light from an object exactly since the lens in our eyes bends the colors slightly differently and they do not land at the exact same place on our retina. Brown lenses blocks the blue (higher frequency) end of the visible spectrum and this allows objects to be seen more clearly against the stream bottom.

So pick the color of the lens that is the color against which you want to see the fish.

https://www.vailvall...se-a-lens-color

https://www.fieldand...larized-glasses

http://www.streamsid...sunglasses.html

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#23 jalberts1

jalberts1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

I wear my polarized cocoons with or without my eyeglasses, work great for fishing, bird hunting, and protection from uv rays

#24 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

I've heard great things about Maui Jim's green polarized lenses. I heard Oakley recently came out with a shade to copy theirs. Both too rich for my blood. I just purchased my first set of reasonably pricy glasses last year. revos with grey lenses. I like them so far, but refrain from taking them places they'll get dropped, so, I mostly use them on the boat.

#25 mybadhabit

mybadhabit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:10 PM

I bought a pair of Prato shades that have a magnifier lens built into them for around $120, and they work great.  The company is owned by a local guy and I found them at a fly fishing expo but I know he is online.  There are two different colors of lenses also and just a couple of frame colors but I love them.  I can fish all day in the Texas sun and not have a headache or eye fatigue at the end of the day and that says a lot towards their protection of my eyes and I do appreciate them.  They have been around for over a year and a half and look brand new.  I have the green lenses because of the waters that I fish down here, and they sure beat the hell out of the $50 pair of "polarized" glasses that I had before that left me with a screaming headache after 4 hours of fishing.  I also like that I got the sport fit glasses, so I can lean over to release a fish and not fear that they will fall off and lose them, and the built in magnifiers are a godsend.  I love them because I don't have to change glasses to put on a size 20 and then switch back to the shades to fish=less shit to carry, gotta love that.

Blane

#26 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:29 AM

Beautiful water.

I have found amber/brown work better than any other color in moderate to low light conditions and even when driving in fog. Yellow makes stuff look weird and the greens and blues spoil color awareness, for me. You will lose some blue color recognition in any UV blocker lens. I've had my script lenses tinted brown for years.

Just a thought on price and value, in prescription glasses the same $30 lenses can cost $150 or $500 in different brand frames. I used to get my glasses made by a guy that used last years model frames and the $500 frames cost $50.   Having shopped prescription glasses at many places over the years, I have to believe that sunglasses price structure is based more on the frame and the Logo than on lens quality. 

Good luck in your search and tight lines.

#27 Hogan

Hogan

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

Got a pair of ray bans with a progressive prescription last year.I got them for driving, primarily,as my transition lenses don't react to glare or indirect sunlight. I can say I am happy with the brown lense "bans". They were pricey at $500+,though.
I don't know how long these will last. At least as long as the prescription I hope!.
But, when it's time for another pair. I will try to get frames that are more fitting to my face. Sometimes the side glare is a real PITA.

#28 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,626 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for the input, and welcome to the site, Hogan!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#29 Saltybum

Saltybum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:08 PM

Fit is to me the most important feature. Nowadays most glasses are UV protective, high clarity, distortion free etc. How ever if they don't fit your face correctly to eliminate peripheral light it doesn't matter how high tech they are you wont get the full benefit.

Kind of like asking what's the best fly rod? You have to try them out and see what's the best FIT for you and your face for performance.

Life is too serious to take it too seriously!

#30 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:34 AM

not sure that all or almost all plastic glasses are distorsion free. Not sure about quality of coating and how fast these type of coating get old. I've  asked a friend to measure in lab my  3 year old polaroid  glasses. UV protection was  decreased at 70%, the clarity decreased also and polarisation was affected too...

Not sure that a pair of eye glasses can be compared with a rod. Rod depends how is your style of casting and  your technique . Eyes are different kind of fish. You can destroy your eyes with a pair of glasses made of poor quality materials (  bad clarity will force the eye to keep the eye pupil opened more than should be - means forced eye muscle,   means more UV light received by your eye, cmeans  damaging your eye in  a short period of time )....

FFF CI

my Blog: www.flytying.ro