Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Polarized Eye Glasses - need help in buying a new pair

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 spiralspey

spiralspey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

I've always really liked Smiths, a good product and pretty good customer service. I figured their ski goggles were good, and there's way more glare when you're skiing, so they must make good sunglasses too.

I've never found a lens color that will cut that metallic silvery glare you get when the sun is low or when it's behind the horizon and bouncing off the canyon walls above you from all kinds of crazy angles. Guys that live farther south don't have to deal with it as much as guys farther north, and in Lapland that's going to be a huge issue in summer when the sun stays low all day. Amber or brown lenses are probably just going to make things dark in those conditions, you should probably look into a lighter colored lens.

#32 newbie@this

newbie@this

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

The reason you should buy premium versus inexpensive is the quality of the lenses.  Raybans, unless Italian made, are worthless.  At that point you're paying for the name.  Maui, Oakley, Costa, and Rudy Project all have quality controls on their lens stock.  When ground, if you are ordering a plano, or no prescription sunglass, you will see the same temporally to nasal.  The inexpensive ones will have abberations in the lenses so you may experience wavy vision, or the clarity of vision may not be there.  Glass lenses are always better than plastic or polycarbonate, but if you have a prescription like mine, glass lenses feel like a brick on my nose.  As for color, try a G-15.  It is the original Rayban grey green color.  Very comfortable.  Most companies carry something similar.  And if you have a need for prescription and don't want to pay the big boy prices, go to your local optical shop and have them price out a pair of polarized suns.  You get to choose the frame you want and are comfortable with.

Sorry to plug optical shops, but I'm an optician by trade.

Bob

#33 newbie@this

newbie@this

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:30 PM

Lucien, all polarized lenses are 100% UV protected.  If they are polycarbonate, poly lenses are 100% UV A and UV B protected.  Be sure you have a good anti-reflective coating at least on the backside of your lenses.

#34 BobHRAH

BobHRAH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

Lucien

With the specifics you are describing, you will probably want glass lenses.  Also, don't forget the design and fit.  The frame of my Mauis fits my eye sockets almost perfectly, blocking light from coming in from top, bottom or sides.  My wife has tiny little Ray Bans that let light in from all around the lenses.  So try to buy where you can try them on.  A retailer can also adjust the fit to prevent (minimize) slipping. 

Thanks, Bob H

#35 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

Lucien, all polarized lenses are 100% UV protected.  If they are polycarbonate, poly lenses are 100% UV A and UV B protected.  Be sure you have a good anti-reflective coating at least on the backside of your lenses.

Sorry but is not true. Even lenses from Carl Zeiss are not providing 100% uv protection. More than that polycarbonate ages quite fast. Polycarbonate loosees the properties very easy.... The coating layers are affected too.
Just make a simple test,take a look wearing your eyeglasses at an uv neon, if you see it then your eyeglasses are not so great. Or use you uv coating torch if you see when is open or closed.

FFF CI

my Blog: www.flytying.ro

#36 Sandan

Sandan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

Sorry but is not true. Even lenses from Carl Zeiss are not providing 100% uv protection. More than that polycarbonate ages quite fast. Polycarbonate loosees the properties very easy.... The coating layers are affected too.
Just make a simple test,take a look wearing your eyeglasses at an uv neon, if you see it then your eyeglasses are not so great. Or use you uv coating torch if you see when is open or closed.

That being said, did you decide yet?

#37 newbie@this

newbie@this

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:40 AM

Lucian, I used to work for one of the Zeiss labs.  Every poly lens put under the UV meter showed 98-100% protection.  Are you talking about the wave patterns you may see in the lenses, at the point of closure and around the periphery of the lenses?  If so, the lenses were edged a hair too large.  You can always bring them back to where you bought them and have them hand edge the lenses to fit.  Poly lenses, when cured, do not lose their "properties".  Are you talking about scratches, or the anti-reflective coating peeling?  If so, your lenses should be under warranty if they are less than a year old.

#38 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:51 AM

So untinted, nonpolarized polycarbonate lenses have UV protection?

#39 newbie@this

newbie@this

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:17 AM

Yes, same with high index 1.60, 1.66/67, 1.70, 1.74 and Trivex.  ALL Transitions products are UV protected.  And UV protection can be added to plastic lenses (CR 39).

#40 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

Good to know, I think I may have paid extra for that before. i thought it was always a coating added.

#41 C Crawford

C Crawford

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

My first post. 

Anyway, last month I bought two pair with a Rx and thought I'd share what I did FWIW

From my understanding (CR 39 vs Polycarbonate) CR 39 (1) has better Optics (2) is harder & so more Scratch resistant (3) is often Cheaper 1960s technology (4) Polycarb is shatterproof but the CR 39 seems to be pretty good

I chose Brown for Overcast days/ Dusk because of fair contrast and I like viewing a "normal" tint.   My second pair is Grey for Bright days/ and Snow.  Polarized of course.  I use a cotton bandana w/ an atomizer filled w/ Isopropyl so I reason it might be a little harsh  so I don't add IR or Scratch resistant coating.  Plus there is the extra cost

Went cheap with an online company called $39dollarglasses, and was ~140 each.  If I had bought only one I would have chosen the Brown.  I did have to call them to order the CR 39 lenses.  I'm pretty happy with them.  I must admit the Brown lenses don't have the  Brightness & Contrast as a pair of Rx polycarbs I bought 4 years ago from Wallmart.  The plastic frames are good, but basic and not curved.  I like the regular hinges. 

Anyway that was my reasoning and may be one way to go.  Something that works (good enough), is versatile and doesn't cost too much.  It also allows me a back-up pair

Cordially

Craig Crawford

#42 newbie@this

newbie@this

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:10 AM

C Crawford, all poly lenses come with a scratch coat, albeit a weak one.  Clear lenses have a harder coat and if you want a lab to tint (not polar) the lenses come with a "sun" coat that is tintable but scratches easily.  As for scratching lenses, an alcohol spray is fine, but use a microfiber cloth or cut up a clean cotton t-shirt.  Always clean your lenses wet, do not clean them with just your shirttail.  And try not to leave your glasses in the car with the hot sun beating down on them.  It will take a plastic frame out of adjustment.

#43 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,626 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:22 AM

Welcome to the site, C Crawford.

Please go to the "Introduce yourself" forum and .... introduce yourself!

Thank you

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#44 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:45 AM

Hi guys, 

Finally I ordered a pair of Smith Cromapop-  are good  but not fantastic. So I went in a optic lab that works with Zeiss lenses and I ordered a custom pairs in gradient pink. Pink  gives , in my opinion,  the best contrast on green background in low light conditions. Glasses and  not plastic. I will see .....

cheers

Lucian

FFF CI

my Blog: www.flytying.ro

#45 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

Prolly not what poster wanted but for us old farts with prescription, bifocals it can get expensive. In my search for a solution I stumbled on some that go over my regular glasses like Chugbug suggested. $25. Not going to look cool like the Costas, MouiJims etc might even look like a cataract patient but with an adjustable head band and total coverage they work great....
IMG_4194.png
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...