Fly Tying
flyguys

Online or shop

Online or Fly Shop  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is my first attempt at a poll so please forgive me. Reason for this poll is because i hear all kinds of people saying support your local shop but for people like me there is no local shop. I have to buy my materials online to get quality Wapsi or Hareline materials. I recently found that supplier on Ebay and he is going to be my supplier from now on so this is my only way of supporting a shop. Well thank for participating. I dont want to advertise so if you want to see the shops ebay page follow my sigs link. Have fun and happy tying.

I know what you mean. The closet fly shop to me is about a 5-6hr drive.

Mike

When I buy online I try to support the sponsor of this website.

J Stockard, a sponsor of this site, has a huge selection, very competitive prices, and the best customer service out there. Over the past several years I have bought most of my stuff from there. Until last year, I was also living in a place with no access to a "fly shop" and J Stockard proved to be the best. Plus, I know every time I buy from them a little bit of my $ goes to support the operation of this site.

I try to support the site sponser as well, but I also support my Local Shop, but in this case it is the Fly Shop at Bass Pro in Harrisburg. This is not the run of the mill Bass Pro in my opinion. Their Fly shop manager is Bobby Clouser and all of the staff there is very intellegent and very good tiers. They offer excellent help in anything and have free classes throughout the year. Excellent shop and great people, Bobby learned from all those years in his fathers shop and he tryes to run this shop in a very similar manner.

I buy most of my materials online, and buy from several sources. The shops that were in my area have since closed. There are a few other shops within an hour's drive, but they primarily cater to trout anglers and don't have much that I need. There is a Bass Pro Shop near me, but frankly, they haven't got a clue when it comes to materials! :huh:

I try to support the site sponser as well, but I also support my Local Shop, but in this case it is the Fly Shop at Bass Pro in Harrisburg. This is not the run of the mill Bass Pro in my opinion. Their Fly shop manager is Bobby Clouser and all of the staff there is very intellegent and very good tiers. They offer excellent help in anything and have free classes throughout the year. Excellent shop and great people, Bobby learned from all those years in his fathers shop and he tryes to run this shop in a very similar manner.

That's the closest shop to me too, about 15 minutes out the door. IMO pretty good, but there seems to be several folks working there without much local knowledge- talk all day about steelhead in Erie. Perhaps whatever is going on with the Susquehanna has something to do with it. Whenever I go there, I always end up leaving with something I didn't need, and still needing something they didn't stock!!

No shop nearby, so I end up buying online more often than not. I support my "local" shops (at least a two hour drive) as much as possible, and if not I support the sponsor shops for the many boards I frequent.

Maybe I'm a little dense but I'd like to support the sponsors of this site for some of the harder to find items I can't pick up at Bass Pro. However I can't find their links. I know I'm a little dense, so can someone help me out and point me in the right direction?

Maybe I'm a little dense but I'd like to support the sponsors of this site for some of the harder to find items I can't pick up at Bass Pro. However I can't find their links. I know I'm a little dense, so can someone help me out and point me in the right direction?

yes, right up at the top of this, and every Fly Tying Forum page, is a big clickable ad/link to J Stockard.

T. Hargrove in St. Louis has yet to let me down...

I havn't run into Tom H. in a very long time, but I'm sure that he's still the same great guy that he was in his (our) younger years - slower and grayer (like us all), but still a great guy. I'd also bet that like Tom, his stop is still first rate.

Look, if you don't have a "local shop" near you, you can still support local shops, i.e. the local shops of others. You can order (often on line) from T. Hargrove or another shop.

You can always "stop in" at "local shops" when ya' travel to another part of the country. For instance, every October, when I go to Mountain Home, Arkansas for FFF - Southern Council Conclave (where you'll see many of the best tyers in the country), I always hit the shops in Mountain Home/Cotter/Rim Shoals area. It gives me a chance to examine new or different flies, materials, and equipment. These folks always have items that I want (and ya' can actually try on clothing /waders/boots before purchasing them - YAHOO!), and besides, if I don't spend a little money there - if we all don't spend a little money with shops in the areas where we travel, I (we) can't ever complain if they disappear... and shops across the country have been disappearing at a far to fast a rate!

This is not to say that at other times of the year, I don't order from online vendors... I do, every year. Do support J. Stockard and the other venders that support this web site!

In addition, I also support the venders at FFF Conclaves/EXPO's, as the Conclaves and EXPO's wouldn't be there, but for the support of these venders.

By the way, if you've never made it to a number of FFF Conclaves/EXPO's then you've missed out on a lot... I'm always amazed at tyers who never go to these fantastic events to learn from tyers, many of whom are the best tyers in this country and are so willing to teach their favorite patterns and techniques gleaned over years of practicing the arts of tying.

Bowfin47

I buy from both. The local fly shop is pretty small and doesn't always have what I am looking for. for online purchases I usually give Dave Hise (casters fly shop) a call. He has just about everything in stock and he ships for free.