Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

New FlyFisherman Magazine tying insert

Hey Everybody,

Great to see a thread dedicated to beginner's I think it's a great idea and I'm sure that there will be alot of others that will pick up a tip or two in here and not just the beginner's.

Reason for posting is that I just picked up the latest issue of Flyfisherman and there is a big insert in it for beginning fly tying, featuring 21 different patterns that are all fish getter's.

If you haven't picked it up yet and you are looking for great tips, start up information and 21 step by steps this is the issue to get!!!!

So what are you waiting for.... yahoo.gif

Have fun guys and don't be afraid to make mistakes and redo and redo steps until you get em.

Best,

Damian

I bought the magazine expressly for a chance to see this beginner's guide included- This little "extra" is one of the best, most well thought out, well put together guides a beginner could have for the price of a magazine!

I urge everyone who wants a chance to tie quality flies without feeling like they have no skills or can't figure out what goes where or how to handle the materials to get this handy and valuable guide!

I picked up the mag a couple days ago and was really impressed with the "insert". I'd call it more of a book than an insert though, go get it!

I picked up the magazine last night and as it goes, this is one of the best beginner guides I have seen yet. The pictures are detailed and numerous. Kudos to the editors of Fly Fisherman!!!

Today we went into the city and went by Hasting's. To my suprise they had the magazine with the tying book on the shelf. Well, I figured since it has gotten such great reviews that I would pick up a copy.

When I got it in the car I took the plastic off and quickly glanced through it. I was thinking this is really great. When I got home I got to really look through it. Since I will be tying alot of Wolly Buggers that I would go ahead and check out the section on them. I was kinda disappointed that it didn't fully show where to cut the maribou..... since one of my biggest problems is knowing where to cut the feathers from. Since I am a beginner I want to be shown all steps, and not have any left out.

It did explain a bunch of things and show quite a bit of methods and such.

For what it is, I guess it is a pretty good guide. To me though it's just another book that leaves some wondering to the process. After I have quite a few flies under my belt I am sure the book will be a bit more clear to me.

I am more of a watch and learn / hands on type person.

I recommend picking it up as well since it will help you out on alot of things. Just don't expect it to show all of the steps involved in cutting and tying.... some steps that I would consider important for a beginner.

Are you talking about the September issue that I picked up today? It had no insert, and was not in a plastic wrap. Was it perhaps another issue?

E,

It is an extra with the September issue of Fly Fisherman. The issue with the insert is in a bag. The insert is actually seperate from the magazine. and is behind the magazine.

Thanks for the reply. All of the issues on the stand had apparently been removed from the plastic wrap, with no inserts included. Perhaps the grocery stores get a different magazine deal than other distributors. I will try to contact the publisher and see what I can do about a backorder. No other places around here have it.

Thanks,

In followup to my previous post, I wanted to say that after emailing the publisher, they are sending me a copy of the booklet insert. They were very nice and understanding when I told them about my "ordeal". It appears that this particular newsstand did not receive the special copy with the insert, which is available ONLY to newsstands and NOT to the paying subscriber.

The publisher sent me two (2) copies of the fly tying insert, along with two copies of an excellent fly fishing guide. They were really responsive to my request, and that goes a long way with me. I will be loyal to them for their customer service to me.

Good to see the feedback on this post! I went as far as to email the publisher also to thank them and let them know how well rec'd their insert was. No response from them, unfortunately.

I can provide the name of the person that I emailed if you want. She was prompt and very responsive. The first person I contacted never got back to me, but she more than made up for it, and left me with a really good feeling about who they are.

Dad got it. I think it has been a bigger help for him to learn then I have been... I don't know if that says that it is really good or if I am really bad at teaching.

Hey Guys,

I emailed them Thursday about getting a copy of the insert, they sent it without a problem. I just got mine today. It looks great yahoo.gif can't wait to read it in full.

QUOTE (Esutton @ Sep 6 2005, 02:23 PM)
I can provide the name of the person that I emailed if you want. She was prompt and very responsive. The first person I contacted never got back to me, but she more than made up for it, and left me with a really good feeling about who they are.

That'd be great, you can PM me the address.

Thanks!