Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Bead to hook size ???

This is one of those thing's I never had to think about till my local fly shop moved a couple week's ago :angry:

Use to when I needed beads/cones I would simply walk into the shop, pick up a couple packs in my hand and could tell what size hook the bead fit just my looking at it. Now that the shop has moved ( :angry: again) I can't physically hold the beads in my hand, so my problem is I never actually learned what size bead fit what size hook.

So now ordering beads off line I have no idea what size to get for each hook size.

So question- is there a chart somewhere that someone can direct me to that show's hook size X call's for bead size "Y" :dunno:

Steve... according to my Kaufman catalogue...

1/16"....1.5mm ....20-26

5/64th" ...2.0 mm 16-20

3/32" .....2.3mm 14-18

7/64" .... 2.8mm 12-16

1/8" .....3.3mm 10-14

3/16" ...3.8mm 6-10

3/16" ....4.8mm 2-8

1/4" .....6.4mm 1/0-4

Hope this helps you.

Mike

http://www.killroys.com/charts/beads.htm

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_directo..._id=6479&bhcp=1

http://www.traditionalangler.com/glassbeads.asp

http://www.traditionalangler.com/beads.asp

Once youve picked one that you like, go to "File" in the upper left hand side of your browser and click on "Save page as" and store it on your hard drive.

Could the owner of this board or a moderator make a sticky of some of these charts for future use!

Good idea flytire, I think I'll move&pin this topic at the top of the beginner forum. I'm sure these links will come in real handy for other guy's wondering the same thing.

Speaking of bead sizes, I hate it when you got to get beads, and the packages are labeled,"small", "medium", "large", etc. I nearly took a micrometer in the shop with me last time I needed beads <_<

I guess i went about things all wrong <_<

I've never even considered it because my wife picks them up at local beading stores, and i just pick through till it fits. :D But for some reason she runs out of these golden and rainbow colored ones quite often :hyst:

I'm not much of a trout fishing person. 90% of my fishing is for Bluegill & Shellcrackers. I want my flies to sink slowly so I use the 1/16 or 5/64 in. beads for size 8 & 10 flies. If they sink too fast the fish I go after won't hit them very often. Ralph

I'm not much of a trout fishing person. 90% of my fishing is for Bluegill & Shellcrackers. I want my flies to sink slowly so I use the 1/16 or 5/64 in. beads for size 8 & 10 flies. If they sink too fast the fish I go after won't hit them very often. Ralph

Another reason why it's so annoying that it's hard to find anything but pricey tungsten beads anymore.

I bought some medium cone heads yesterday figuring they'd fit onto a size 10 hook... no go! Grrrrr...

This was a question I was asked a repeatedly as a mfg of brass and tungsten beads. Michael Crosby of Western Flyfishers kindly did an extensive review of my beads for weight and fit using quite a good number of hook brands. He even tried models and sizes of hook brands to give you an excellent fit resource. Although he did these measurements on my beads - I expect the information might be generally applied to other beads with tapered rear holes.

You can print out a copy from my page:

http://www.canadianllama.com/beadchart.htm

I also have a similar chart showing weights/sizes of glass/brass/tungsten which Michael provided. It's not on the site, but I'd happily e-mail it to anyone wanting it as it also is a good informational document.

Further reference material including cone heads is in development.

Tight Lines

Id try staying with the beads from fly fishing shops. I've tried the ones from the craft stores, and they wont work. They're not recessed so you cant get them around the bend of the hook. Although if you could ream an end out it may possibly work.

I always forget the answer to this question regarding bead heads ......

The big hole goes towards the eye of the hook right......... :blink:

Great post and just what I was looking for. Still looks very confusing at this point and its so hard to find the stuff you need right now in the middle of summer. So I've been doing lots of running around trying to find the right ones. Thanks again