Fly Tying

I was wondering where the best place is to get materials, hooks etc? I am disabled so I need to get the best bang for my buck. I bought some stuff off Ebay to get started but still need some guidance here. I appreciate the advice.

You'll have to qualify "best." What's best to you won't be so wonderful to another.

There are so many materials today as compared to when I started over 30 yrs ago that no single source offers a remotely complete selection, so you'll probably find yourself using more than one. Many sources offer free or discount shipping with reasonable minimums, usually starting ~$25, so it's not financially difficult to go with multiple orders.

Price differences aren't usually great between suppliers on most materials. But you might find a worthwhile savings if you're purchasing larger quantities of a particular material type where one dealer offers better pricing.

And some suppliers cater more toward specialized tying interests, such as saltwater, bass/warmwater, or euro/competition.

There just isn't one best.

Welcome to the site! Fact is there is no single source that has the best prices on everything they sell, or everything a tyer could want or need. You have to look around. I buy a good bit from Ebay sellers, but also buy from other places. I shop & compare prices. Sometimes, I may pay a little more to get something I really need, or something that's harder to find. Mostly it depends on your wants & needs as Bugsy has mentioned.

Best advice I can give you is search online shops that have products you'll use & sign up for their email newsletters or sales. I get some emails from several when they have sales & will sometimes buy things I don't really need at the time, just to stock up at a better price.

Otherwise, buy only what you need, when you need it or you'll end up with a large sum invested in materials that you could have saved or spent on other things. (Talking from experience, I have stock piled more than some shops! )

Check out flytyersdungeon.com, JStockard, farwestflyshop.com, Marriotts Fly Shop, The Fly Shop, and Feather-Craft.com to name a few.

Also, if you have a shop nearby, be sure to check them out. I don't have any near me now, and when I did, they didn't always have what I needed, but I still went & checked.

It never hurts to talk with the folks in a shop either. Sometimes you'll get some valuable info just because you're there. wink.png

You're welcome! It never hurts to fill in your profile either, with at least the general area you live or fish. That way folks can provide more accurate & appropriate answers to your questions.

So, you also didn't mention what type of fishing or fish species you'll primarily be tying flies for, so that type of information helps too with better answers. smile.png

Here are a few sources I use: Hook and Hackle, Allen (Hooks, Beads,) Dream Drift Flies, Blue Quill Angler, and Orlando Outfitters. These are in addition to the others already mentioned.

Don't forget that the Big Box stores like Walmart can have many things you can use, and the Craft and Dollar stores are your friends as well. I get all my flash from Joann Fabrics, and a lot of my thread there as well.

Save money on thread by buying ONLY white thread. Markers can be used as needed to touch up the heads. You can save a lot by not stocking up on all the different colors in different sizes. Once you decide to jump in with both feet, start getting your thread from Oshman Brothers. They sell several types of Gutermann threads that are great for fly tying at one tenth the cost per spool. I almost never use black thread. Black will show through a lightly dubbed body, and darken the color.

Welcome Hookear... I'd only suggest this, on behalf of the others like myself who like to use alternative materials... there are some things that you can get much cheaper by not purchasing it from a fly supplier. One example is foam, which you can get large packs of from places like walmart, instead of getting three tiny 3x4 inch sheets for the same price from a supplier. Other things such as hackle feathers, you'll have to buy from a fly source, but even then, for some of us who only tie flies to use fishing, the hackle from Cabelas is good enough, while others will absolutely demand the very best for their commercial sale. Lots of previous threads on this topic... suggest you read through some of them. You'll find that in virtually every subject, the replies fall into several categories, always depending on why the individual is tying.

First thing to ask yourself, is why am I doing this? To sell flies? To use for fishing? If so, what kind of fish (some fish are more picky than others)? Then you'll be able to pick through all the seemingly contradictory replies for the one that fits you the best.

Good luck. And be sure to fill out your profile so people can look you up and see who they're talking to.

I see you already did your profile. Kentucky! And SMBass and Panfish! I'm basically a panfisher myself so now I can see what kind of ties you want to fly. Or whichever.

One more suggestion: go on the fly pattern database (top of page), search by keyword, and select smallmouth, panfish, bluegill, etc., and you'll get lots of flies for each of those selections, to start picking the ones you want to try. But whatever you choose, be absolutely to tie some wooly buggers (or boogers)... every panfish loves a bugger.

Unlike some, I don't like posting a new thread for something that will only get a couple of comments. So, I am reviving this one to post some pictures.

I used some Cabela's Gift Card dollars and bought a Whiting "Fly tier's variety pack". Cost: $17.50 + tax. If you're starting out with feathers ... and want to play around some before buying whole capes, necks and birds. This might be for you.

Man, has the price gone up! I got mine for less than $10. It's great if you tie a lot of warm water flies. Lots of textures and colors, and a lot of stuff you'll never see in a fly shop. A few were just scraps of capes, and others clearly rejects, but almost all have some use. Don't expect to get much that will be of use for tying trout flies, though, that's not what it is.